90-day time frame/notarizing/certified/apostilled

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum 90-day time frame/notarizing/certified/apostilled

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ANDREA LYMAN
    Participant

I feel ridiculous asking this question (because it’s probably been gone over a bazillion times) but I am still unclear. Birth and death certificates do not need to be within the 90-day time frame, right? They can’t be altered or changed.
    But marriage, divorce and background check documents do need to be within the 90-day framework? Since I am female, I’ve had name changes and probably need to provide every single document along the way, in order to track me as an indiviudal with my various name changes – is this true? I get different info from various people who have done it themselves, a lawyer in Cuenca, website forums, and the Ecuadorian ‘official’ website. So now, I’m turning to you to see what your take is.
    Here’s my (document) bio:
    1. birth
    2. married
    3. divorced
    4. married
    5. husband died
    6. married
    7. background check

1 and 5 I can get and have apostilled any time/2, 3, 4, 6, 7 need to be obtained and apostilled within 90 days of applying for visa – IS THIS CORRECT TO YOUR KNOWLEDGE?

And is the background check the only thing that needs to be notarized (the others are to be ‘certified’) before being apostilled?

Thanks for reading all this and for your feedback!

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Andrea, I am sending this to Santiago Andrade for his comment… will be back to you when I get an answer.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Andrea, here is the response I received from Santiago. Feel free to email him directly at santiago1397@gmail.com. Not his last comment — he works the Quito immigration office…

I feel ridiculous asking this question (because it’s probably been gone over a bazillion times) but I am still unclear. Birth and death certificates do not need to be within the 90-day time frame, right?

Correct, beacuse those documents will never change the info that they contain. They can’t be altered or changed. Correct.

But marriage, divorce and background check documents do need to be within the 90-day framework? SIx months old, no 90 ddays. S

ince I am female, I’ve had name changes and probably need to provide every single document along the way, in order to track me as an indiviudal with my various name changes – is this true?

TO obtain the cedula, yes, that was the route, but not anymore. Now it is back to the Affidavit only, where the Client just decares under oath that the information containning the cedula card is accurate and true.

I get different info from various people who have done it themselves, a lawyer in Cuenca, website forums, and the Ecuadorian ‘official’ website. So now, I’m turning to you to see what your take is.
    Here’s my (document) bio:
    1. birth
    2. married
    3. divorced
    4. married
    5. husband died
    6. married
    7. background check

1 and 5 I can get and have apostilled any time/2, 3, 4, 6, 7 need to be obtained and apostilled within 90 days of applying for visa – IS THIS CORRECT TO YOUR KNOWLEDGE?

And is the background check the only thing that needs to be notarized (the others are to be ‘certified’) before being apostilled?

THANK YOU!

Suzan, to get the visa, the so many documents this reader describes are not required anynore, at leat in Quito, dont know about the Cuenda branch. They have never been requeired to obtain a visa but the cedula, which of course expats tend to confuse.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Andrea, here is another answer for you, from Roberto Moreno’s office:

Dear IL Reader:

Currently the law has changed regarding the birth and death certificates,
    they no longer only have a time limit and they are no longer needed for any
    part of the immigration process. The only documents that have a time limit
    are the police record, and the marriage certificate, the government observes
    the time limit for both documents as 180 days, from the time they have been
    granted.

Don’t worry about getting all the documents detailing toy marital history
    the only time this will be needed will be when you apply for the Ecuadorian
    ID, for this process an attorney will draft and notarize an affidavit
    detailing you marital history. This is a new process the is done instead of
    showing all birth, and marriage certificates.

However, please keep in mind that if you will be coming with a child or your
    spouse you will need a marriage certificate and/or a birth certificate in
    order to prove your relationship with them and be able to sponsor your child
    or husband in the visa process.

All documents must be legalized by a public notary before they can be
    apostilled.

Regards,

Alvaro Coronel V.
    International Relations Assistant
    acoronel@morenodidonato.com
    <http://www.morenodidonato.com/&gt;

ANDREA LYMAN
    Participant

Wow! Now THIS is new information – and I like the new simplified process. Wonderful. This is great – and I am going to contact a Cuenca lawyer to confirm that this is true there, as well. Thanks a million for providing this info from a couple of different lawyers. I appreciate your help!! As always……

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.