90 Day Visa

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum 90 Day Visa

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I’ve just returned from an 84 day visit to Ecuador which I thoroughly enjoyed. My visa limited me to a 90 day stay. I would like to return for a longer visit, possibly, 5 months. Perhaps, Dec., to Apr., inclusive. As you can see; I love Canadian winters. Would I be allowed to enter Ecuador for 2 months, go to Panama, or Peru for 1 month, & return to Ecuador for another 2 months. I don’t want to relocate permanently, buy any property, or run any business.

I don’t blame you for wanting to escape those Canadian winters! I love not dealing with snow these days.

I would be wary of trying to break up your Ecuadorian stay in the manner which you suggested. While immigration might let you through, it’s chancy and could cost you time and money, not to mention a huge hassle. The easiest thing would be for you to secure an 6-month visa (known as a 12-9 visa) before you come to Ecuador. You should be able to do this through your nearest Ecuadorian Embassy. It will cost a little but will allow you to stay 180 consecutive days without residency.

Thanks for your response. Goggle shows one is located in Toronto, which is close by. I’ll check it

RICHARD ROBBINS
    Participant

Also, once your 90 day visa expires or 180 day visa and in your case 90+ day visa if you go for the 180 expires, you will not be able to return to Ecuador for one full year from the date of your visa expiry. Ecuador is not like some other countries where you can leave the country for a day and then come back in and start all over.

Thanks for that info, Richard. I’ll have to give my plans a re-think. I was hoping to do a 5 months visit to Ecuador, each year. That, clearly is not possible, and disappointing. I’ll have to consider other locals, and do more research.

GERALD NADEAU
    Participant

I am confused about Richard’s repsonse. My wife and I was in EC for 88 days last June to Aug. We are planning to visit again next month for another 88 days. Since we left EC in Aug can we return again next month even though it hasn’t been a full year since we left?

I’m nearly certain that your one year starts from the date you received your visa not when it expires. So for example if you arrive in the country on June 1st 2014 with a 90 day tourist visa and receive your 180 day 12-9 visa when that expires you’ll be able to stay in Ecuador for close to nine months. You’ll need to leave for three months when your visa expires, but you should be able to return on June 1st 2015.

I have a friend who housesits mostly in Ecuador and has been following this method for a couple of years now. The authorities have always used his original date of entry as the date when his year starts and he’s able to reenter the country on that same date the following year.

GERALD NADEAU
    Participant

I’m still confused. Last year we arrived in EC on June 5, 2013 and stayed for 88 days. This year we plan to arrive on June 3rd and stay for 88 days. Will we be OK doing this?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Gerald, email Santiago Andrade and he can give you a definitive answer: santiago1397@gmail.com.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.