Advise Re: US Mail Scanning Services Referrals

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Advise Re: US Mail Scanning Services Referrals

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Karen Snow
    Participant

We will be moving to Cuenca in a few months and are looking for a mail scanning service that we can use to receive US mail via email while living in Ecuador. We have done some research and are not satisfied with what we have found. We don’t have any friends or family we feel comfortable asking to receive and forward our mail. We would appreciate any info/suggestions from expats in Ecuador on how you receive US mail online.

Thank You in advance!

Carey and Karen Snow

Carey & Karen,

Hello, and congratulations on your upcoming adventure! As for mail scanning services, like yourself, I have found them to be lacking. When Rita and I were first planning to move here 5 years ago, I tried three different services. In test mailings, I found that there was still at least a week’s delay in receiving notification that a letter was present, then another few days after requesting the scanned contents. Also, all services charged a fee for check deposits.

We have found the best strategy is before you leave, switch over as much as you can to electronic correspondence. It is easier than ever to make that change for bank statements, utility bills, investment account statements, etc. Most expats find it useful to keep an American mailing address, and end up using family or friends. There are also mailbox services like Mailbox Etc. that will give you an address, but they do not check the mail for you – you would still need someone to pick it up for you periodically, or check it on return visits.

Having your mail sent to Ecuador is not a good option either. We’ve had letters take 3-4 weeks to show up here, and one never arrived at all.

On the other hand, it is easy to SEND mail online. There are services like MailaLetter that will let you compose mail or upload pdfs, which are then send through the US mail.

Sorry to not have a cut-and-dried solution for you. Dealing with mail is tricky in most countries outside the US.

-jim

Karen Snow
    Participant

Hi Jim! We appreciate your reply and all that you shared. What you shared confirms our findings on the subject.
    Thanks Again,

Carey and Karen Snow

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.