Alternative construction and building codes

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Alternative construction and building codes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JASON S.
    Participant

We want to build an earthbag constructed home. While very sturdy, like most alternative construction methods, it is not recognized by most building codes. There are many states in the US where, outside of the cities, alternative construction is easy as there are very few codes to adhere to. Does anyone know if a similar environment exists in Panama?

Or, does anyone know of any earthbag construction in Panama?

Hi Jason and thanks for your post. What an interesting plan you have!

I live in Chiriquí Province just north of David. Panama does have building codes and does require building permits.
    But as you suggest, I think enforcement may vary by location.

I’m not aware of any earthbag construction here, but there are some container homes- built from shipping containers- so alternative construction is not unknown here.

My suggestion for you is to contact a real estate expert who knows the codes, the processes and the in-and-outs of building here in Panama.

As a starting point you may write to Margaret Summerfield, the Panama real estate expert who lives in Panama City. You may reach her through Pathfinder International, here: Pathfinder International Real Estate
    info@pathfinderinternational.net; Website: http://www.pathfinderinternational.net

If you are interested in a particular part of or place in Panama, be sure to let Margaret know. She may be able to refer you to a local expert for specific information.

Best of luck with your research, Linda

Hi Jason, you may also want to contact Panama attorney Rainelda Mata Kelly, mentioned on the rolodex page of this website. Here’s her contact info:

The Law Offices of Rainelda Mata-Kelly
    Suite 406-407, Tower B, Torres de las Americas
    Punta Pacifica, Panama City, Panama
    Local tel: +(507) 216-9299
    From the U.S. or Canada tel: (011 507) 216-9299
    Email: rmk@mata-kelly.com

As an expert in immigration, corporations and real estate law, she may have some valuable insight. As Linda says, alternative construction is not unheard of here so it’s probably just a matter of applying for the right permits or green certification.

Best,

IL Panama Editor Jessica Ramesch

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.