An odd question

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum An odd question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I attended an international Living conference in Las Vegas a year or so ago. Between sessions I was talking with a developer who had moved from the U.S. to Costa Rica and I happened to ask him what he missed most about the United States. He told me “half and half for his coffee.” I could relate to that. I was in Panama last year and I didn’t find it there, either. Is it available in Ecuador? Or are the components–milk and cream? Please advise! Thanks.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Milk and creme we have!

ANGELA SWOPE

Suzan, can you compare milk and cream with the US? Butter also. I too miss good milk, cream and butter. 🙂

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I won’t eat margarine, so I always opt for the butter. There are bad brands and good brands. Cream is widely used as is milk. You can also buy raw milk and cream directly from farmers. (Nestles has major operations here so milk, cream, chocolate….)

Milk in the stores is ultra-pasteurized and in boxes on the shelf. Both whole and skim are available. They taste a little different but are certainly acceptable. You can even buy French butter but, being imported, it’s very expensive.

ANGELA SWOPE

Excellent! That is very comforting to know and even hear Nestles having operations. Ed, we have the same here in the DR, but I am sure it is even a little better in Ecuador, looking forward to it. Yeah!!!!!

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Did we mention the chocolate…????

ANGELA SWOPE

Oh, that is oh so not fair. In the states I was buying Dominican chocolate but here the cacao is sent out of the country. Several of us have been trying to find good chocolate and have failed. I have read Ecuador has fabulous chocolate!

Here is where to find good–actually great–chocolate in Quito. Check out Jeffrey Stern’s handcrafted confections here: http://www.giandujachocolate.com/.

BTW, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. This forum is a remarkable resource.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Here is another sweet spot…one of my favorite must-visit places whenever I am in Quito: http://www.cyril-boutique.com/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.