Apostille and Background Check

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Apostille and Background Check

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I get mixed messages from the Internet — what a surprise! and now am fairly confused about this Apostille thing.

Some sites say you must get documents originating in the US Apostilled by the Secretary of State of the State of origin of the document.

I’m currently living in Hawaii, but will be moving to Florida in order to make the transition. I know I need a criminal check from HI, which I’ve read can be obtained from the local County Sheriff’s Office.

Must I get that document and then send it to the Hawaii’s Secretary of State and mailed back to me? Basically, what am I asking them to do? Or am I best off getting the document here and having it Apostilled in Ecuador?

Also, since I’m leaving HI in March and won’t begin my residency process until I arrive in EC in May, must I be concerned about a time limit on the validity of the document?

Will I need a background check from Florida as well, since my address of residency will be there?

Good questions, Russell. Your docs should be apostilled in the state in which they originate. If you were born somewhere besides Hawaii, the apostille for your birth certificate  would come from there. You’re only going to be in Florida for a short time–nobody in EC needs to know about that pit stop. The clock starts ticking as soon as the apostille is granted. You’ve got six months to file for residency or the process starts all over again, so don’t dawdle once you get here.

ANGELA COOK
    Participant

Thanks Edd.  I also know that you can get an extension on the Apostile for just a few dollars, if necessary.  I have documents that were completed early and now, 4 months later I’m still waiting for other documents.  My coordinator for these services (all documents) said she can easily get extensions if necessary for the older ones.

Another question about coming down to file.  Do you recommend coming down briefly to file my application and then going home and waiting the time it takes to complete the visa?  If I go there with only a Tourist visa, then file papers and wait, what if I spend more than 60 days in EC?–I understand that will affect my household goods shipment and something about not spending more than 60 days in 12 mos in EC before getting the visa…   Very confusing.  Can you shed any lite on this?  Also, so you have a list of recommended people/attys to shepherd me through the Immigration process?  I’ve already been hornswaggled by one schister.

Angela Cook

Some Fedex’s back and forth between you and your attorney would certainly be less costly and time-consuming than a personal trip. The timing for shipping household goods doesn’t start until your visa has been approved. I’m no a big fan of “facilitators” who aren’t really attorneys. If you’re coming to Cuenca I recommend Rodrigo Cordero; email him at rcordero@cmc.com.ec. He is a partner in the largest and most prestigious law firm in southern Ecuador.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.