Are there any immunization shots needed before visiting Ecuador

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Are there any immunization shots needed before visiting Ecuador

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GERALD NADEAU
    Participant

I just read the question about malaria just posted and got concerned.  My wife and I will be visiting Ecuador for the first time this June, July and Aug.   We will be in Quito, Cotacachi, Otavalo, Cuenca, Guayaquil, Manta, Salinas and San Clemente.  Do we need to get any immunization shots before our visit?  We currently live in Arizona.

Thank you

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Here is my answer to previous post:

Malaria has been eradicated in Ecuador — no need for anything to combat it. You can get the vaccine for Yellow Fever if you like. As of yet, there is no vaccine for dengue. It’s best to use repellant as screens on windows, etc.

If you go to the CDC website, you will see their recommendations. I think they say to get a tetanus booster and Hep A and B series, Yellow Fever if you will be going into the jungle. (Which you won’t.)

I can’t tell you what to do. Only you can decide. If it were me and I were only coming for a visit, I would not bother. Unless… you will fly directly to Costa Rica from Ecuador. Costa Rica insists that if you’ve immediately been in a country with ANY threat of Yellow Fever and you are traveling directly to CR you MUST have proof of a Yellow Fever vaccination.

GERALD NADEAU
    Participant

Suzan,   Thanks for the info.   Are insect repellant sprays readily available there?   I’m not sure if they can fly in checked baggage.

Jerry

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Yes, insect repellant is bought in Ecuador and you can pack them in your checked luggage — but I carry those most towelette repellants that you can buy at Walgreens, CVS, etc. They’re very handy as you can throw one in your pocket or wallet and always have one at hand.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.