Arenal trip

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Arenal trip

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LORI HOLCOMB
    Participant

Hello, I am visiting Arenal in Jan for a month to consider retirement there. I have located rentals all around the lake, but before I decide on an area to stay in, I would like advice and/or recommendations on the different towns/areas around the lake. What are the pros & cons? I would like to be in a Tico area for the real experience, though I will travel all around the lake & plan to visit with expats while there. I think I know one area is windier? Are the temps the same all around it? I do not plan to rent a car, but plan to utilize the bus system if possible. thank you

Hola Lori

Good luck with your search. Boots-on-the-ground is the only real way to know an area.
    Arenal is definitely more remote, so you may find the bus system more difficult there. While many expats do not have cars in many areas, most all of them do have their own cars in the Arenal area.

Costa Rica has 12 (some say 27) microclimates. While the lake region has no specific rainy season—expect rain at any time of the year—the wettest months are June through October. Generally the days begin sunny and the rains come in the late afternoon.
Yearly average temps run around 75 F. 

As you climb the slopes of the mountains the temperatures drop and the rainfall increases. As you can see the heaviest rainfall, approximately 150 inches annually, is close to the volcano and it lessens as it moves west down the lake to about 80 inches at the southeastern end.

Here are some very general observations I have made about the areas around the lake.

La Fortuna—The Tourist Mecca.
    Located about 2 hours from the International Airport, La Fortuna is the gateway to Arenal but that’s not all travelers have waiting for them. The Catarata de La Fortuna is a waterfall pouring from a seventy-meter cliff.  The Tabacon Hot Springs are a relaxing intermission in the midst of the various spectacles. And there are plenty of resorts, lodges and inns for a blissful end to any day’s excursion.

Nuevo Arenal —The Expat Hotspot
    Nuevo Arenal is a small community with a big personality. It’s home to one of the fastest growing ex-pat communities in Costa Rica and for good reason. There’s plenty to do and easy access to some of Costa Rica’s top attractions. The scenery is simply spectacular and it feels like eternal spring.

Tronadora— The Quiet Village On The Lake
    Tronadora is a sleepy town on the southern side of Lake Arenal where farmers and villagers live in harmony with expats from around the world. And the other neighbors? Well they include horses—and cows and monkeys and toucans and sloths. The overall vibe of the town is quiet, relaxed, and friendly.

Tilarán—The Regional Center
    Decades ago, Tilarán was farmlands which produced coffee, macadamia, and peanuts. Today, it is a growing retirement haven located by the stunning Lake Arenal. Ranching continues here as do windmill farms that provide power to the general area. It’s the largest town in the area, but don’t let that fool you. The population remains under 10,000.

It’s still quite rural, so if you’re looking for nightlife or big city excitement, it’s not for you. And you will have to have a car to get around comfortably. For very serious medical conditions, you may still need to go to San José.

There exists a strange dichotomy here. Not only is the area around Arenal a wonderland of grand adventure—it’s also known for its sleepy, placid, rural lifestyle.
    Whether you approach from the west or from the east, the drive into the Arenal area is spectacular—but pay attention to your driving because you’ll have to watch for traffic jams caused by wildlife crossings. On either side of the road – up the green slope and down on the lakeside, there are lovely inns, hip coffeehouses, and all the relaxation you’ve been looking for. 

Hope that helps!
    JMA

Kathleen Evans
    Participant

Hi Lori,

How exciting you will get to spend so much time in Arenal. It is truly a beautiful part of the country. And in January you will have spectacular weather. It sounds like John Michael has covered everything thoroughly. I would like to second the challenges of taking the bus in the area. Perhaps you might want to consider renting a car for part of the time there. Also addressing your wind question… During my visits there I have found the western side of the lake to be windier. In fact around Tiliran is where you will find a wind turbine farm. But none of the winds I have experienced were overwhelming.

Best of luck on your new adventure!
    -Kathleen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.