Availability of organic food

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Availability of organic food

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

We try to eat organic as much as possible. I was wondering if the local markets feature organic fruits and vegetables, eggs, chicken, beef, pork, ect. Also the availability of non GMO foods and grains.

Marjorie Hovey

LAURA LIGHT

Marjorie, I assume you do not yet live in Costa Rica. Costa Rica has .01% GMOs from my research, so good guess that almost everything is nonGMO. I am moving to an eco village in the Southern Zone where you can own a lot (1/2+ acre), grow your own food and have access to the community grown organic food for free as a home owner. If you want more info let me know… vidaverde7799@live.com

LAURA LIGHT

just adding that US is 85+% GMOs for some crops such as corn, wheat, soy, canola, etc. Probably much higher. So to avoid, since we do not have mandatory GMO labeling laws, choose organic.

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Marjorie,

Many local farmers’ markets, known as ferias, do have some organic vendors for produce and other items. Not super common yet, but it is getting better.

But there are also special organic-only ferias in some towns. For example, Escazu in the Central Valley and San Jose, the capital, have sizable organic farmers’ markets. San Isidro de El General, a large town in the Southern Zone, also is known for organic produce and such.

In some of the larger supermarkets you’ll find organic choices on the shelves. And there are also organic co-ops that deliver to your home in some areas. If you’re interested, if you live in the countryside raw milk and fresh eggs are also available. Just ask your neighbors.

MICHEAL LEVINE
    Participant

I have been told by a longtime resident of the Southern Zone that the only feed available for chickens in CR is loaded with antibiotics. Maybe you will have to become a vegetarian…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.