BEST MAKE OF CAR/SUV TO BUY

Homepage Forums Panama Insider BEST MAKE OF CAR/SUV TO BUY

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ian Henchoz
    Participant

Please advise best make of car/suv to buy in Panama. In South Africa for example Toyota have the best name for reliability and economy in the “middle” range whereas in the “upper” range Mercedes rank as the best. We should appreciate your advice as to what make in the “middle” range you would recommend.

Many thanks,

Ian Henchoz.

Yves Sautter

Hi Ian,

On my recent trip to Panama driving over 2500 km in the process, I have noticed a lot of Toyota SUV’s with a good mix of CRV’s, Fortuners and Land Cruiser Prados. Seems that just like in South Africa where I have lived a few years, Toyota 4*4’s seems quite popular in Panama.
    During this trip I test drove a Toyota Fortuner and found it solid and reliable, particularly under massive nigh thunderstorm conditions in the sierra between Admirante and David. Not something I would advise to do… We took it on beaches, went through small streams and it just went on. The only main drawback was the Hilux bakkie suspensions which are rather hard on the back and bum. There the Prado is far better but it also comes at a higher price tag…
    Hope this helps.

Keep well,

Yves

Hi Ian,

This is really a subjective topic and a lot depends on where in Panama you plan to live and/or drive.

I don’t have an SUV–I drive in Panama City and all over the country and find a small car or sedan is fine for everywhere I go. I often rent compact cars like the Toyota Yaris or Kia Picanto (these are popular here) when on work trips. I own a Hyundai Accent Hatchback and am happy with it, as it’s a solid car and the local Hyundai (Petroautos) gives better guarantees than many of the other mid-range companies.

My only advice is to choose a make and model that is common enough here that it will be easy to get parts. Spend a little time in Panama and see what models you see most on the roads. Last year I believe the top sellers were the Hilux, Yaris, and Accent, you can see the list here: http://revistaacelerador.com/y-los-autos-mas-vendidos-son/.

As far as ratings and reviews you can find these online at websites dedicated to cars and make a decision based on what you want out of your car.

Best,

IL Panama Editor Jessica Ramesch

ARMAND BRODEUR
    Participant

FYI, bakki is South African for pick-up truck, although Hilux is a give away. I drive a second-hand Toyota Corolla. it serves me well, and parts and service are readily available, even here in Las Tablas. Recently, Panama was described to me as “Costa Rica with infrastructure” and most roads here are good. The “OK” roads work, you just have to drive at a speed where you don’t beat yourself to death. There are a few places where you need a high clearance 4×4. When I buy new, I look for a dealership with service. This is important here in the rural areas. Beware of makes sold by selling dealers only. Getting service, particularly warranty service, can be problematic. For used cars the “shade tree” mechanics are very good, and inexpensive. I took the Tonosi to Venao road twice in the last few weeks, once in a Hyundai Accent and then in a Nissan one ton cattle truck. The cattle truck was smoother. Both got me there. There are a few places, like some of the beaches at Pedasi in the rainy season, where you really need a 4×4. If you stay in Panama City you can get whatever is sold there. In the “Interior” I recommend Toyota or Nissan, but the “shade tree” guys are keeping a lot of things on the road. However, I am more comfortable if there is a dealership with a service facility nearby. Here in Las Tablas, that means ChitrĂ©.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.