Best tourist phone AND Data for Uber ETC??

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Best tourist phone AND Data for Uber ETC??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ROBERT MASTERSON
    Participant

We will be in PC for 3 weeks (2/10 – 3/1) to get Cedula and test out “living” and travel around PC without rental car etc. We would like to use Uber, but need phone with data connection to do that. Our Verizon international plans seem very expensive for data. What is a good alternative? – local phone, sim card, ???. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

ADAM GAUS
    Participant

Check out Joey’s website, which may answer your questions:

I used his advice, brought an unlocked smartphone to Panama, and visited the Digicel store in Multiplaza, where I got a SIM. Can’t do this in advance or at the airport. Digicel has worked well with Uber. It’s inexpensive to make calls to North America.

Before leaving the US on my next trip, I will buy a one-week “top-up” online (in English):
    https://online-top-up.digicelgroup.com/en-PA/

Adam

ROBERT MASTERSON
    Participant

Adam. thanks. Everything is working now with Digicell. Good post. Bob

Hi Robert,
    My apologies for the delay in replying. The system’s “email me with new posts” function is out-of-order. I do apologize. I see you already got the info you needed. I’ll just add that a lot of places have free wifi in Panama City and when available you can use it to call Uber. I’ve met people who reply solely on free wifi, using their phones from home (and of course in an emergency they can use roaming, though they try not to as it can be very pricey).
    Best,
    Jessica
    IL Panama Editor Jessica Ramesch

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.