Blood donor

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Blood donor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DAVE HAIG

Hello… I am a regular blood donor… and last time I gave I asked about travelling overseas. If you travel to a malaria area you will be deferred for a year after returning. They had no idea how blood supply is handled in those countries. Would anyone there have info on how blood supply is handled? Is there a blood test for malaria, or possibly blood is centrifuged and filtered ? Is there something like Red Cross or a hospital affiliated blood donor system? I feel lucky to be healthy enough to donate and would like to continue as long as possible. Thanks! dave
    and Happy Halloween to you! We had a pretty good turnout last night…. and have enough goodies left to last a while. : ) of course, i make sure to get some that i like!

I am not sure how blood is handled here. The hospitals are basically three-tiered: public, social security, and private. Malaria is only in the low-lying areas or the Oriente and parts of the coast and even then, if you go to these regions your chances of catching it are slim…unless you sleep outside in an infested area. But I am sure your health providers would not care about that. And they probably consider the entire country as a “malaria area.”

Maybe someone else on this forum has better answers than I?

DAVE HAIG

Visiting Cuenca now, and had Googled for blood supply in Cuenca and here´s the site that I found:

http://cuencanewsdigest.com/campaign-for-blood-donations-in-cuenca-underway-p946-90.htm

Visited a doctor for a physical checkup and asked about donating blood and he recommended the Cruz Roja     (Red Cross).   I went in (that street is listed in the article..   Calle Presidente Borreo…   look for the Red Cross trucks parked on the street).    They called up an employee who spoke English (had lived in the U.S.)    and he talked me through the questions…     all the standard questions on health, drugs, sex, diseases, medications , etc.     Did the finger prick test for iron,  had the blood pressure and pulse taken,  and donated.

I´m now a card carrying blood donor for Cruz Roja Del Azuay.       (Cuenca is in the Azuay province)               Dave

By the way, Ecuador has now been declared malaria free, yahoo!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.