Books

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

Well, I’ve read that English books are hard to come by in Ecuador, which makes sense. What do you avid readers do? I can read a book a day so Kindle downloads appear rather expensive. Yet I read that getting a Kindle is what is advised. Do they have public libraries or only in big cities? We thought we would bring some paperbacks when we come down, but they won’t last long….is there an expat book-sharing going on? Thanks for any info! (our place is near Canoa—not that I expect much there but maybe somewhere not TOO far)

Hi Gretchen,

I suffered greatly my first few months here until I bought a Kindle. I can’t afford to buy as many books as I read so I use library accounts in the U.S. I have two friends from different areas who have been kind enough to let me use their library accounts and I can get all the books I want for free. Most libraries allow a 2 to 3 week checkout of e-books and they are automatically returned on their due date so you don’t have to worry about late fees.

There are some expat lending libraries or book swaps in the more populated areas but I don’t know what’s available in Canoa. I definitely recommend getting a Kindle and a U.S. library card. Also, there are several websites that send out daily e-mails listing which e-books are free on Amazon each day.

GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

I didn’t know libraries had e-books! And I go to the library all the time. Definitely will have to look into that. I knew Amazon had amateur writer’s books offered for free, but others too–wow.
    Speaking of books, I really enjoyed “Retiring Overseas on a Budget” by Suzan and Dan. Packed with great information that could save many (costly) mistakes. I gave it 5 stars on Amazon.
    Thanks Wendy. Guess I’ll have to break down and get a Kindle….sigh.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Thank you very much, Gretchen, you rock! We tried to put 12 years of experience into this book and very much hope that everyone who reads it will find it practical and helpful!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.