Border Run

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jason,

We just moved to Costa Rica a few months ago to try it out for a year. In another month when we go to Nicaragua to get another 90 day visa I did not realize we can return right away until I read your latest post here. Did there used to be a 72 hour rule? For some reason I thought I read that somewhere.

Also, for a shuttle to take us there did you mean to do a tour or are there private shuttles that will go round trip?

Steve

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Teresa,

Yes, you can return right away. Of course, sometimes the border officials get upset if you do this and they might say you have to wait an hour before they’ll stamp your passport. That’s rare though. The 72 hour thing is something that’s widely posted online but is not correct. It relates to a being able to import up to $500 worth of goods tax-free as long as you’ve been outside of Costa Rica for 72 hours.

There are private shuttles that will provide the round trip to the border. Where are you located? I might be able to provide with some contacts that run shuttles.

Jason,

We are near Brasilito. We wouldn’t mind staying a night or two in Nicaragua if you know of some sort of tour that does that. One other question about leaving Costa Rica, visiting Nicaragua, and returning to Costa Rica.I know we need an onward proof of travel for 90 days later again when coming back to Costa Rica. Some people we have talked to said it can be a bus ticket while others said it has to be a plane ticket back to one’s home country. Do you know what is correct?

Steve and Teresa

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Great! You are well situated to have a short border run.

This company has vans and offers border runs and tours into Nicaragua: http://www.tamarindotransferandtours.com

You can also check out TicaBus, which is a major bus company that can pick you up in Liberia (sometimes Flamingo) and take you across the border and on to San Juan del Sur, Granada, and Managua.

As far as bus ticket vs plane ticket, a bus ticket – with a specific date within 90 days – should be fine. And you can buy them at offices at the border. But…. I have heard of some cases where the border officials didn’t accept the bus ticket. So just to be safe you might want to get a plane ticket. You can buy a one way plane ticket out of Costa Rica right before the run and then call the airline within 24 hours for a full refund. It is important to call the airline and not rely on canceling the ticket online as often that gives you a credit with that airline instead of a refund.

I realize that this is all sort of confusing and a hassle. But it’s a great example of the many “gray areas” and workarounds common in Latin America. 🙂

Thanks for all the information, Jason!

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Teresa,

Some breaking news concerning the Nicaraguan border. Currently, there are hundreds of Cuban immigrants trying to enter Nicaragua from Costa Rica, on their way to the United States. But the Nicaraguan government isn’t letting them in. Many of the Cubans are at the border. And I’m not sure how this is all affecting the border crossing, let alone border runs. At the very least there will be significant delays. Details here: http://news.yahoo.com/cuban-migrants-paralyze-nicaragua-costa-rica-border-115320250.html

If you plan to travel to this border or into Nicaragua I would recommend you check with the tour company about the latest status. It could be that these types of shuttles are getting through okay.

As an alternative you could do the border run to Panama or fly into Nicaragua instead.

Thanks so much, Jason. The tour company is booking now again. We will see how it goes today ( 12/8) and post here for others.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.