Brand New

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lawrence Damico
    Participant

Just arrived in CR and staying with friends in Tarbacca. Would like to start an exploratory for my ideal spot.
    At this time in my life a temperate climate, walking distance to shopping/entertainment (cafe), old world medium sized town, expats to befriend as well as Ticos and a generally low cost lifestyle would really suit me. Am I asking for too much??
    Pretty much lost in Spanish – need to remedy that. Have a couple of months to figure it out but sooner the better.

Any thoughts or general comments would be appreciated. Hope this will start a dialogue.

Gracias,

Larry

Jackie Minchillo
    Participant

Hi Larry,

Based on the description of what you’re looking for it sounds like you’re already in the right region to start your exploration. The Central Valley is a hub for expats who are looking for a year-round text book comfortable climate – many there as you may have already learned say they never need to use air conditioning or heat which also makes it really ideal for keep monthly expenses low.

Some popular expat communities in the region I would suggest as starting points include San Ramon, Grecia and Heredia. You may even find the Cartago area interesting, although you will find less expats there and more of a need to stretch your Spanish legs 🙂 Don’t worry too much about it – you will encounter friendly and helpful people pretty much anywhere you go and there’s plenty of opportunities for expats to sign up for Spanish classes or even private tutors so that’s something you could easily find access to once the time comes. If you find you need some immediate tools to help you with some Spanish during your trip I suggest the smartphone (or tablet) apps Google translate, Linguee and DuoLingo.

If the beach appeals to you at all – then I would point you toward the Central Pacific with Jaco as a sort of central starting point. That’s an area of the coast that still has access to lots of amenities and Jaco is just about an hour from San Jose so you also have relatively easy access to the city. Although the climate on the coast will be hotter, so again based on your description it sounds like the Central Valley might be a better fit for you.

Enjoy your trip!
    Jackie
    IL Coastal Correspondent

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.