Bringing Firearms to Ecuador

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Bringing Firearms to Ecuador

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ELI ZONANA

I am considering relocating outside the United States and have long been interested in Costa Rica. I was totally turned off that country when I learned one cannot bring firearms into Costa Rica. I am a very long-time gun collector and wonder about difficulties in bringing my weapons with me should I relocate to Ecuador. I should mention I am a retired medical doctor with a completely clean personal and professional record.

I’m afraid that your search must continue. Importation of firearms and ammunition into Ecuador is strictly prohibited.

ELI ZONANA

Can a permanent resident legally purchase and own firearms within the country?

Here is a government website with all the info about gun ownership. It’s in Spanish, of course, so you’ll need to translate if you’re not fluent.

http://www.controlarmas.mil.ec/index.php

Eli, if you are looking for a place where you can import your firearms collection, you might consider Nicaragua. You’ll need to apply for a permit but you can import firearms to Nicaragua.

ELI ZONANA

Thanks for the info, Susan. In candor, I have not yet considered Nicaragua. I still think of it as a relatively dangerous country to retire to.

And Edd, since I am NOT fluent in Spanish, a brief response to my specific question would be more useful to me than a link to an all-inclusive site in Spanish.

Nicaragua is VERY safe — considered one of the safest, in fact, by Interpol, Economist, etc. I just spent three weeks there and can attest to how nice the people are and how easy it would be to live there in a carefree manor – -at least where personal safety is concerned. The only thing that’s a stumbling block for me is that Nicaragua is very warm climate-wise. Give me my cool Andes mountains!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.