Bringing Fishing Equipment to Ecuador.

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Bringing Fishing Equipment to Ecuador.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    KEVIN IMUS
    Participant

I have had a very difficult time finding information on Fishing in Ecuador .I am planning to move there in Jan. I love to fish , so my question is does Fishing Equipment cost more in Ecuador or do I need to stock up on Fishing line , Rods and Reels here and bring them with me ? Also where are the best places to live , where there is good fishing? . When I search fishing in Ecuador mostly you get people who you pay to go fishing with .I want to be able to go fishing on my own , I want to learn where to go and the best Places to live and be able to fish and be safe . I know the coast has deep Sea fishing , I hope to find the right city in the Andes to live and Learn the fishing there . Thank you , if anyone knows of someone here that fishes a lot, please help me !

Hi Kevin,

There is some fishing in the Andes, but it might not be as fast and furious as a serious fisherman would hope. Unfortunately much of the waters have been overfished and while there are trout to be had they are pretty wary. That being said, there are people who fish here and enjoy it. And I suspect that if you can find an off-the-beaten-path lake or stream you’ll have a better chance of success. This is where making friends with knowledgeable locals comes in handy.

Personally I would bring my own equipment. While you can buy angling gear in Ecuador the quality stuff will be pricey and you’ll be limited as to selection. If you bring your own rods, reels, lures, and lines you’ll have exactly what you want.

For fun, here’s a video of fly-fishing in Cajas National Park near Cuenca. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB4PTNvLE70 Enjoy!

KEVIN IMUS
    Participant

Thank you Wendy for taking the time to answer my question’s. I am planning on coming this Jan , I will be staying in Macas .I want to find the right place for me in Ecuador . I hope to visit some of the smaller cites in the Andes . I hope to find a way to make a little extra money to live on .; I get S.S OF 1400 dollars . I will be by myself with 1 dog . I just wanted to say thank you for your help Wendy. Do you have any suggestions on where to live ? Kevin Imus.

If you’re looking for a smaller city or town in the Andes you might want to check into Vilcabamba or Cotacachi. They both have strong expat populations that may make earning money a little easier if you’re catering to North Americans. Also, BaƱos might be a good option and it’s not far from the edge of the Amazon Basin where there are more rivers for fishing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.