Bringing in a Pet

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Bringing in a Pet

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SUE GUESNARD

Way immunizations and paperwork is needed to bring a household cat into Costa Rica? I am moving to Costa Rica and have a small cat.

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Sue,

Here is the official word from the U.S. Embasssy: http://costarica.usembassy.gov/catsdogs.html

But basically you’ll need an up to date rabies shot, plus a good health certificate from your vet which is endorsed by your local USDA office.

There is no quarantine in Costa Rica. Straight off the plane into your arms.

I have two dogs and had no problems bringing them in.

Jason

MICHEAL LEVINE
    Participant

Sue —

The certificate of good health has to have been issued within 10 days of your entry to CR. Same is true when you take your pet back to the US.

what do you mean when you say the 10 day rule applys when you bring your pet back into the US ? we will be staying 3 weeks in CR with our dog in tow

MICHEAL LEVINE
    Participant

You have to get a new health certificate in CR within 10 days before you depart for the US. I presume this is in order to satisfy the US Dept of Agriculture’s requirement. My guess is that your dog will not be allowed on the plane without a health certificate. [See the US Embassy link posted by Jason Holland earlier in this thread.]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.