Bringing pets to CR – a cautionary tale

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Bringing pets to CR – a cautionary tale

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MICHEAL LEVINE
    Participant

We recently traveled to CR with our dog, who is small enough to travel in the airplane cabin with us. Before traveling I researched the SENASA (CR analog to the USDA) web site to learn what paperwork is required to bring a dog into CR. On arrival at SJ airport we were asked for a document with a seal, something which is not mentioned on the SENASA site. The official did not speak any English so communication was difficult. In the end, after a small propina, he allowed us to enter. Leaving the country was more difficult. They wanted to see a document showing that the dog entered the country with the appropriate CR stamp. The SENASA official was a lady who disappeared with our papers; we were stuck in the security area, and our boarding time was getting uncomfortably close. We were not sure we were going to be allowed to board with our pet. In the end, this lady reappeared with our papers with the official stamps affixed. She was actually helpful, but the suspense was uncomfortable.

The point of this post is to share the information I got from the USDA after returning home.

The correct procedure is to get your pet’s exam and vaccines done (see the CR SENASA site for time requirements) and to have your vet fill out the Federal APHIS FORM 7001, then overnight it to the USDA office in your state, with a prepaid overnight envelope for return and a check for the USDA fee. With this form, stamped by the USDA, you will have none of the problems we encountered.

Contact information (for NY): vspsny@aphis.usda.gov, Tel (518) 218-7540.

Bringing your dog back to the US is trivial if its health certificate is less than 30 days old. If it is older than that you will have to have a CR vet examine the dog and provide you with the SENASA paperwork. I have heard that this is easy but have no personal experience.

I hope this is helpful to other pet owners.

Micheal

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your experience, Michael. The U.S. embassy in Costa Rica also has a procedure for bringing and leaving with your pet:

http://costarica.usembassy.gov/catsdogs.html

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.