Brining Murphy (dog) to Costa Rica

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Brining Murphy (dog) to Costa Rica

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I will be bringing my dog to Costa Rica, most likely this May. I understand that I have to have his international vet certificate filled out within 10 days of leaving (or arriving) in Costa Rica. Is there any need to be translated? Any other paperwork? Has anyone done this successfully and have words of wisdom for me? This is, oddly, the one thing I’m most nervous about regarding my move – getting Murphy there in one non-howling piece.

Hi Carolyn,

Bringing Murphy to CR will be hassle-free. I brought my own two dogs, Jester (standard poodle) and Shadow (Havanese). No quarantine in CR is the big plus.

No need to get anything translated. But there are some forms you need from your vet and from the USDA. And shots should be up to date. Another big thing to keep in mind is that some airlines don’t fly pets or have certain restrictions. So check before you book.

I wrote an article on the process, with links to sites with all the details. You can check it out here:

https://internationalliving.com/2012/06/how-to-travel-with-pets-to-costa-rica/

Jason, in your article you state that the USDA has to endorse the form from the vet. Do you know what agency would do that in Canada?

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Scott,

Great questions. It is the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. The requirements are basically the same as far as which vaccinations.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.