Building costs in CR

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Building costs in CR

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    THOMAS MERGENS
    Participant

I am in the early stages of planning to build a home in Costa Rica on the So. Pacific coast. Anyone out there with good building costs numbers for budgeting purposes? Looking at medium-high end construction quality and finishes.

All help is appreciated.

Pura Vida.

Hi Thomas,

Building costs vary tremendously. But, in general, for a medium-high end home, I would say you can start at $50 per square foot, going up to $100, for the type of finishes you are looking for.

Jason

SUSAN BIDDLE

I am wondering the same thing as Thomas. There sames to be a lot of contradictory information out there that’s for sure. Do you have any words of wisdom regarding costs to build a swimming pool? I am interested in building a fairly large curvilinear infinity pool in the Carmona area of the Nicoya Peninsula.

Hi Susan,

I’m not sure about swimming pool construction costs. I think it’ll vary depending on size and materials. I would recommend contacting several builders in Costa Rica to get estimates before starting construction.

Jason

THOMAS MERGENS
    Participant

Hi everyone and Happy New Year. In my continuing search for information on building costs I came across this great article from someone building their home in the Guanacaste region. http://www.welovecostarica.com/public/3934.cfm. The final building costs , excluding such things as pool, landscaping, etc., averaged in the $110 /sf range. A bit higher than what I budgeted but still good info.

Hope everyone finds this helpful.

ED FOMBY
    Participant

We recently completed our home, costs can very considerably.  It depends on what you want and can afford and what type of construction.  What kind of slope you are building on. Sq. ft. rates often include all covered area.  Wooden homes are much cheaper, but I know of cases of termites that can not be exterminated.  You can get plumbing to US standards or Tico standards (no P traps under your sinks), same with electrical, wire nuts or twisted and taped.  Costs of tile can very greatly. Cost of roofing materials can vary greatly.  Cost of materials are inflating fairly fast.  You need to find a builder you are confortable with and has some good references.  Trying to contract your self can be a nightmare.  Also some builders came to Costa Rica and suddenly decided, “I am a builder”.  Ours which used all premium, tile, granite, light fixtures, pluming fixtures, custom 8ft. doors, US standards plumbing & electrical, and premium appliances.  Living are around 130 sq. ft., if you includ outdoor covered living area and garage, under 100 sq. ft.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.