Building Materials – Termite Concern

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Building Materials – Termite Concern

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    GREG ASTON
    Participant

I have bought property at Las Lajas Beach in Chiriqui. I am working with a fellow trying to line up an architect for my small construction. We are running into problems locating a person to take on our small project. We are aware of a fellow who builds with local hardwoods an all wood elevated home. My person in Las Lajas says there are termite concerns that can overtake a wooden structure if not regularly cared for. What are the typical steps to care for a wooden structure to avoid termite infestation?

Hi Greg- termites are a valid concern any where in the tropics. Most homes in Panama are built with cinder blocks, concrete and tile, and for good reason. Your person in Las Lajas is correct to warn you of these concerns.

If I were building a home in Las Lajas (I live in David, Chiriquí) I would not use wood. If your heart and mind are set on a wooden home, then I suggest you research the best type of materials and processes before you begin. I know that treated lumber is available here in Chiriquí, but I do not know the specifics. Learning about the local hardwoods may be very helpful also.

Perhaps doing a broader online search for construction techniques in the tropics and prevention of termite infestation might bring you some useful information.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.