Bus Cancun-Belize City-Cancun Tips

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Bus Cancun-Belize City-Cancun Tips

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Marc
    Participant

We are coming to Belize this August planning to take the “look Around” for a possible area to retire after a week in the Yucatan visiting the Cancun, Merida and Tulum area. We plan to take the ADO bus from Cancun to Belize City and return to Cancun for our return back north. In my research on the bus trip I’ve come across blogs where it is said the bus is very cold. However it appears to have been written a couple years ago. My multi-faceted question is: Has this “cold” issue been fixed; does the ADO bus provide blankets; or do I just have to be prepared and bring — just for the bus trip — my packable light-weight jacket and light blanket?

Marc,

The last time we took an ADO bus the temperature was fine. But you should be prepared for a range of temperatures. It depends on the bus driver, the particular bus, and where you are sitting on the bus. Some areas of the bus have much stronger AC drafts. We try to pick seats about mid-way on the bus. Usually it isn’t too bad there, but we are still not too far from the restroom. Also, you can adjust the vents above your seat. So play with those once you take your seat.

We usually where our REI zip off pants when we take this bus. We zip on the legs before getting on the busy. Then can remove them once at our destination. I always bring a sweater and shawl with me, just in case. The bus does not provide you with blankets. Another issues is that at times the lights in the restroom do not work and it is pitch black in there without a light of some sort. So we bring one of those mini flashlights that you can hang around your neck, or keep in your pocket – just in case.

Otherwise the ADO buses are very comfortable. They are a very reasonably priced way to travel between Mexico and Belize.

Marc
    Participant

Thank you for the info

DAVID L.
    Participant

Hi Marc,

We have also taken the bus from Mexico to Belize. We caught the bus out of Playa del Carmen. Be careful, there are two bus stations in Playa, so you need to be at the right one. They do have reserved seating. We bought our tickets on the day of travel so my wife and I were in two different rows. (Not necessarily a good idea from my wife’s point of view.) The temp was fine. But, a light jacket or sweater is not a bad idea. We traveled late afternoon into the evening so most people were sleeping with the window blinds drawn. That was not conducive to sightseeing out the windows. Also, when you sleep, you have a tendency to feel colder. We live in Consejo (6 miles north of Corozal), so we took the bus to Chetumal and had a taxi take us from Chetumal to Consejo and through Customs/Immigration.

Hope this helps,
    David

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.