BUS FROM QUITO TO OTAVALO

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum BUS FROM QUITO TO OTAVALO

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ROD MCCARROLL
    Participant

Where can we get a bus from Quito to Otavalo? Since we are staying in the North end of Quito it would be great if we could board a bus in the north end instead of going all the way to the main south bus terminal?

You can go to Terminal Norte (also called terminal Carcelen). All taxi drivers know where this is.

(There is only one direct bus to Cotacachi, I am told — I can’t verify its existence as I’ve never taken it. It leaves some time around 5 am in the morning.) The buses to Otavalo run every 20 minutes or so. Buy a ticket for $2 at the window and they will also charge you 15 cents for a terminal fee.  If you take luggage, watch them stow it and be sure you keep an eye when passengers depart that they don’t claim your luggage.  Not to worry, the likelihood of this happening is small. But it pays to be vigilant. If the bus is full, don’t put your stuff on the floor or overhead, but hold it on your lap.

KEVIN MANN
    Participant

I traveled by bus from terminal Carcelen to Cotacachi.  I found out that the bus I was on did not stop in Cotacachi when the fellow seated next to me (whom I had told I wanted to go to Cotacachi) pointed to the town as we were passing it.  I then told the driver that I wanted to go to Cotacachi and he let me off the bus giving me instructions to wait on the opposite side of the highway for the bus marked “Cotacachi”.  That got me there.  For the return trip, I took a bus from Cotacachi to Otavalo, and from Otavalo took another bus back to terminal Carcelen in the north end of Quito.

Kevin, you were probably on the bus to Ibarra. And they let you off on the Panamerican Highway at the entrance road to Cotacachi. I’ve found it more convenient to take the bus to Otavalo, as I mentioned and then take another bus or taxi from there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.