Buying a used car in CR

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Buying a used car in CR

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MICHEAL LEVINE
    Participant

I want to obtain a used 4WD vehicle for use in CR. I have looked at craigslist and can find no rhyme nor reason for the prices I see there, ranging from $5K to $40K. In any case whether I find a vehicle on craigslist or via some other source, I would need to get it vetted for sound mechanical condition. Any hints as to how this can be done?

Can you recommend a method for locating second hand vehicles? How would you check out the mechanical condition? Are used car lots a reasonable place to look and to buy? (In the US I would try to avoid them.)

I will need the vehicle in the southern zone. Someone has recommended that I take a reliable local mechanic to San Isidrio El General to visit used car lots. What is your take on this?

Finally, how does the transaction work? Can used car lots accept bank wire transfers from the US? If the seller is an individual can he/she accept an international bank wire transfer?

If I establish a bank account in CR in my name can I transfer colones from that account to the seller’s account?

I am clueless about all aspects of this process in CR.

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Michael,

Another site you might check is CRAutos.com. Another good resource is your fellow expats. It seems like somebody is always selling a car for some reason. Often you get the best deal that way.

As far as checking out a car, it’s just like the U.S. You’ll want to run the VIN to see the car’s history, get it checked out by a mechanic (ask local expats for recommendations), and check that the title is clear with no issues or liens.

There are used car lots in CR – many in Grecia, in the Central Valley. It’s actually a good place to go if you’re car shopping. These used car lots often bring in cars from the U.S. They buy them at auction. Often they’re high mileage. As to being trustworthy… a used car lot is a used car lot the world over. I would recommend getting referrals from your neighbors and expats for good used car lots in your area.

Dealerships can take wire transfers in general. But you’ll want to check with them and with your bank as for how long the transfer would take. If you have a CR bank account you could transfer the money from your account to theirs as well. Cash is always accepted too.

For individual sellers I would not recommend a wire transfer. I would say cash. That way you give them cash, they give you the car. Less messy.

When you buy a car you have to visit a lawyer, who will transfer the title and such.

And it’s always a good idea to get a car that’s up to date on RTV (vehicle inspection) and marchamo (annual tax).

MICHEAL LEVINE
    Participant

Jason, thanks for the reply. I still have a few questions, however —

I make frequent wire transfers from a US bank to accounts in the Banco de Costa Rica, and they typically clear in 2 business days or less.

Visiting the lawyer — what is the sequence of events? I agree on a price and conditions with the seller, then what? Money changes hands? Or the lawyer handles the money and the transfer of ownership? [I plan to have a corporation set up to become the legal owner of the car.]

Do used car dealers in CR offer a warranty (30 to 90 days) to cover necessary repairs?

How does the VIN check work in CR? I know that in the US a VIN check will turn up things like accidents, fire or flood damage. Does the CR VIN check circumstances like these which occur in CR? Or does the VIN check only uncover unpleasant occurrences in the US history of a vehicle (assuming it started its life in the US)?

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Once you have agreed on a price, money changes hands. Then both parties visit the lawyer to transfer ownership. Sometimes dealers will have a lawyer on call or even on-site.

Dealers are obligated to offer a 30-day warranty on the engine and transmission. Not great but it’s something.

Basically, you can check a U.S. car’s history through the VIN for its time in the U.S. only through Carfax. For Costa Rica, you can use this site to check its history in Costa Rica: http://www.certifi-car.com

For the VIN, I found this handy article that will help you make sure you get what you pay for as far as the car. http://www.ticotimes.net/2012/03/08/check-the-vin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.