Buying a washing machine in Quito and other things

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Buying a washing machine in Quito and other things

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ROBERT CRENSHAW
    Participant

What can a person expect to pay for a washing machine in Quito ? Also have heard that the government subsidy on gasoline is about to be eliminated. Also that propane is going to be replaced by electricity.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Washing machines may or may not be more expensive than you are used to, depending on the brand you choose. Some brands are manufactured in Colombia and are fairly priced. But anything imported from a long distance will, of course, cost more.

Yes, there is a move afoot to eliminate the gas and propane subsidies. This will happen but not on the schedule that was originally proposed. For one thing, not all of the hydroelectric facilities that will provide the electricity have come online yet, and every home that relies on propane now has to be retro-fitted for electricity. This is a huge and unpopular undertaking. I’d guess it is still a couple of years down the road.

As for gasoline, this is also a very unpopular move. It’s said that prices will increase by a few cents a gallon over a long, long period of time…years. The people here would revolt if it happened any other way. Because Ecuador is an oil-producing country, I don’t think you will ever see prices here that are as high as they are in other countries.

ROBERT CRENSHAW
    Participant

Thanks Suzan, anytime you have to pay more for something it will always be unpopular. What the government needs is a “spin doctor” to make it sound like it’s a good thing for the public !

I bought a tower washer and dryer machine in Salinas area for $1975. I can’t remember the brand to know if it was local or not. It seemed like a fairly nice one that was good sized.

Brenda

How much is gas a gal there?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

A gallon of petrol for a car is about $1.50. that has not changed in a decade but may in the future when the subsidies are eliminated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.