Can one bring a vehicle to Ecuador?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Can one bring a vehicle to Ecuador?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I have seen different answers to this question in the Ecuador Insider FAQ versus a presentation from a presentation from one of last year’s conferences. Can anyone enlighten me? One says no problem, the other says you can but the “short answer” is no.

GORDON SIDWELL
    Participant

I am certainly not an expert on anything in Ecuador, but my wife and I did attend last month’s Fast-Track Ecuador Conference in Quito. I remember hearing David Prescher (Cotacachi) say something about that subject. If my memory serves me, he said that you could bring a car but it could not be any older that one or two years. You might try checking with him.

GAYLE BROOKS

If you do not have a car – what is the means of transportation?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I don’t know anyone who has brought a vehicle. The customs duties can be high. I’ll double check on this and get back to you with a better-informed answer. Expats who want a car usually buy one here. Seems like expats who live on the coast or in Cuenca are more likely to want a vehicle. In Quito or Cotacachi, most opt for taxis or buses for transportation. We don’t have a car and are very happy about that. We takes buses, taxis, or hire a private driver when we need to. It’s far less costly and less hassle than car ownership. (By the way, in Cotacachi, the favored mode of transport for expats now seems to be those 3-wheel motorcycle things with a covered trailer on back — like an Asian tuk-tuk.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.