Cancun to Corozal via Bus

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Cancun to Corozal via Bus

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DAVID L.
    Participant

Hi everyone,

We are planning a trip to Corozal (really Consejo) to visit our new home. (To all those who have followed the journey – thank you for your kind wishes and prayers.) We have decided to do the trip a little differently this time. We’ll drive from New Bern, NC, to Raleigh, NC, and catch a flight to Cancun. Then take an ADO bus from Cancun to Playa de Carmen. Stay overnight in Playa de Carmen and take an ADO bus from Playa to Chetumal the next day. We’ll have a driver pick us up at the Chetumal bus terminal and take us to Consejo. We’ll reverse the process when going home in two weeks. I guess – only mildly adventuresome.

Two questions: 1) Thoughts about the Plan? 2) What is the difference between a Deluxe and a First Class bus? The First Class bus has many more departure times which makes planning so much easier.

Thanks,
    David

David,

Your plan will work out fine. But since the cost for an ADO bus is reasonable, opt for the Deluxe class, especially the first time you try this approach to travel. The Deluxe buses don’t leave as often and they only stop once. I have always taken the ADO Deluxe buses, as the ticket cost runs less than $30 one way from Cancun. They have cushy seats that recline so that you can sleep. They show movies, so bring ear plugs if you want to sleep. The restroom at the back is decent. They typically don’t stop more than once, for a quick stop for a meal. Also, the air conditioning sometimes can be overly aggressive, so bring a sweater or shirt, just in case. I bring a sweater or shawl.

I have not taken the ADO First Class bus since the Deluxe buses are reasonable. They may stop more often, or not have as nice of restrooms. I assume that plenty of your neighbors in Consejo Shores will be able to fill you in. If the First Class bus is almost the same as the Deluxe, let me know.

It’s more complicated when I travel to Cancun, Playa or Merida, since I need to time it so that I can catch the water taxi to Ambergris Caye (from Chetumal), or take a flight from Corozal to the island. So I have to get the early Deluxe bus. But I’ve used this approach to travel many times. It takes about 4-5 hours to get to Chetumal. But it’s easy and pretty cheap.

Hi David
    My husband and I are planning on doing the same thing except we are flying in from Canada, when are you planning on going? We will be there in about 2 weeks now, feeling pretty excited.
    Please could you tell us how did you arrange a driver to pick you up In Chetumal bus terminal and take you to Consejo? we have not arranged that part yet .

Thank you Kristina and Martin

DAVID L.
    Participant

Hi guys,

I understand that the bus station is a “government zone” or something like that. So, we’ll meet Mark at Applebee’s (yes, Applebee’s at the Mall). It is a very short distance from the bus station (under 2 miles?), so we’ll grab a quick taxi. The driver is Mark Jones and his Belizean number is 501-600-5657. Our real estate agent is Karen Wilkinson (kwinbelize@live.com). She set us up with Mark, originally, and is very knowledgeable about Corozal and Consejo. (We bought our house through her.) If you contact either or both, drop our name, I think it will help. David and Lynn Lawson.

PS: be careful about calling Belize. Our US cell phone was $1.99/minute. I thought that was high until I found out that CenturyLink was $3.99/minute. Talk fast! We’ll be getting MagicJack once we move.

Kristina and Martin,

I have been using Menzies/Belize VIP Transport service from Corozal to Merida for years. They have a number of staff and I’ve found them to always be very helpful. As David explained, the Belizean taxis or services can’t pick you up at the Chetumal bus terminal. The Mexican taxi cab drivers want your fare to the border. But their taxis are small and then tend to gouge North Americans. I take a Mexican taxi from the bus terminal to the designated spot that Menzies suggests. Menzies keeps changing the spot… I always ask the Mexican cab driver what the fare is before getting into his cab. It should be under $5 US.

Here is the info for Menzies, also known as Belize VIP Transfers, if you want to contact them, as well: info@belizetransfers.com. I’ve also used their drivers to give me a tour of Chetumal and Corozal, when I had time to kill before catching a flight back to Ambergris Caye. That is an extra cost, of course.

Menzies/VIP Transfers has no association with a real estate company. They are an independent transfer service that’s been in the business for over ten years. They pick me up at the Corozal Airport, help me get through the border, and take me to the Chetumal bus terminal. On the way back they have also helped me if there is any “issue” at the border, leaving Mexico, as all of their drivers speak Spanish. I think they charge about $30 US for the service, whether for one or two people. But they typically have decent, good size vehicles with AC.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.