Car

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Will Ecuador let you bring one car into the country? We have a Jeep Wrangler that would be good for the terrain anywhere in Ecuador. If not how expensive is this type of vehicle? Also is anyone familiar with the Isle of Bolivar on the northern coast? If there is can you tell me a little about it?

The red tape, expense, and restrictions involved in bringing a car to Ecuador make if fairly prohibitive and I don’t know of anyone who has done it. The last I heard it WAS possible, but your vehicle had to be a current year or next year model and the shipping costs were quite high. Vehicles here tend to be fairly expensive and used ones hold their value pretty well so it’s not easy to find a quality used vehicle at a low price. That said I do know a few expats who have bought older sturdy Nissan Patrols and Jeeps, but they’ve had to put some work into them to get them into good operating condition. I believe the one couple bought theirs for $7,000 and have put an additional $4,000 into parts and labor.

As for the Isle of Bolivar – I’ve not heard of it. Maybe Suzan or Edd will have some insight?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Brenda, are you referring to Isla Portete off the northern coast buy Mompiche? There is a town called Bolivar there? http://ecuadorbeaches.org/beaches/esmeraldas-beaches/isla-portete/

I have been to that area…. besides the DeCameron Hotel there is not much there. I honestly had no idea people lived on the island.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.