car rental in Ecuador

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum car rental in Ecuador

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JOHN BUCHANAN
    Participant

My partner and I are considering renting a car following the IL conference in Quito to explore the northern valleys, coast and then back down to Cuenca and Vilcabamba. We have both driven in foreign countries and backroads before, speak and read passable Spanish, but we wonder if renting a vehicle for a couple weeks is a good idea for a couple of 60 y.olds? We would likely be renting in Quito, returning vehicle to either Quito or Guayaquil.
    Are there local rental companies that you might recommend?
    John Buchanan

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi John, we have no problem driving in Ecuador, although getting out of the cities can be a bit harrowing. And while I’m sure you wouldn’t, do don’t drive at night — the roads aren’t as well-lit as we are used to and in the mountains you’ll have fog at night which will make it difficult to see. All the major rental companies are in Ecuador. There is also one called Simon — Google it. I’ve not used it, but you might get a better rate.

An option is to hire a driver (expect to pay about $10 an hour with the understanding that he’ll have to return to Quito, for instance, if he drives you from there to Cuenca). Or if you travel light, you can take the buses.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.