Car Rental Insurance

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Car Rental Insurance

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    GARY BREMER

My wife and I will be arriving in Panama in a couple of weeks. We will be staying about four months with a week or two back in the states in March. We will rent a car. If we charge it to an American Express card we will get 30 days of collision & damage insurance coverage. After 30 days then, I guess we need to turn in that car to get another one for the next 30 days. Can we do that at the same car rental or do we have to go to a different one? I would think the same one would work as I don’t think they would want to lose business to a competitor. We will be charging the next thirty 30 day rental to a different Amex card.

Also, what options are there for getting the best deal on the required liability insurance? I have heard it is more expensive then renting the car itself.

P.S. Yes the car insurance can be as much as the car rental itself but there isn’t much competition and it seems the rental companies all charge similar rates. Regarding using a different Amex, you would need to sort that out with the car rental company.

Dear Gary,

That’s unfortunately a question you would have to ask Amex, as the issuer would be the one to determine whether or not you get an additional 30 days.

Also please verify with your credit card company that your Amex insurance will be valid in Panama. Insurance for drivers is required by law in Panama and car rental companies may require you to buy a basic insurance regardless of whether or not you have an Amex, as the car rental company may not (possibly, again please check with them directly) have any way of verifying (that your Amex is enough for your to be compliant with local laws regarding car insurance).

Best regards,

Jessica

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.