ccell phone situation

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum ccell phone situation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I read that tourists can no longer buy a pay-as-you-go cell phone locally on account of having to provide a ”cedula” number. All of this to counter drug trafficking communications in Ecuador. Any news on that front? and where, if still possible can we buy such cell phone.

You might want to check out this post over at ecuadorliving.com

The part about cell phones is about 1/3 of the way in.

Well, just discovered the “link” function doesn’t work! Nor does the “edit” function, so here’s the link for the ecuadorliving.com post.

http://www.ecuadorliving.com/2012/09/01/ecuador-cell-phone-update.html

The link Fred provided gives you info on where a cell phone can be purchased. The larger stores will have someone who speaks English and can help you get the phone set up. Don’t know where you read that info about needing a cedula, but as far as I know your passport is sufficient to obtain a phone. Drug trafficking isn’t a major problem in Ecuador.

And I think it”s important to note that you don’t have to buy a whole new phone! For $7, you can get just the SIM chip that goes into your existing phone! You use it while you’re there, then put your original chip back in when you’re going home.

THANK YOU TO ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.