Cell Phone – buy here or there?

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Cell Phone – buy here or there?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi Jason,

I’m 18 days away from the move the Arenal and am trying to check items off my long list of to dos. Should I buy my phone in the States prior to the move? I’ve heard the basic cost of a smartphone in Costa Rica is extremely high. I’m thinking of an iPhone. Also is the iPhone 5 in Costa Rica yet? Thanks for your help!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Smartphones can be at U.S. prices or higher. Just like in the U.S. you can get them cheaper by signing up for a contract. But cell phone contracts are only available to citizens and legal residents. I would recommend bringing a smartphone from the U.S. Be sure that it is “unlocked,” i.e. not tied to a certain carrier in the U.S. There are a lot of options on Amazon.com.

Then you can just put in a SIM card from a provider here in Costa Rica for $5 or so.  Again, until you’re a resident you have to be on prepaid, or “prepago” line. You just add minutes at the grocery store or wherever you see a sign for your cell phone company by telling the clerk your number and giving them cash. I find $15 lasts me the whole month as far as voice and text. If you use data, or go online, it’ll be more.

The iPhone 5 is here in Costa Rica but it’s pricey unless you get a contract.

On the other side of things, there are plenty of cheap options when it comes to basic cell phones in Costa Rica. Prices start at $20 (although I wouldn’t recommend buying the cheapest model) and go up from there. You can get a decent phone for about $50.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.