Cell Phones

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Cell Phones

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Crum
    Participant

What is the best way to handle the cell phone issue when traveling from the US to Panama. I see several people that have 2 phones I assume 1 phone is for their home country and the 2nd phone is for Panama. Is that the best way? What would be the best service provider to use for this Panama only phone? Should I buy this Panama only phone at the airport? or should I buy the phone from a phone retailer? I want to know the best way, I do not want to pay a retailer’s, any extra commission Thank You Ronal Crum

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for posting. As mentioned on this website (http://internationalliving.com/country_clubs/panama/moving-to-panama/) the local providers are Movistar, Digicel, Claro, and Cable & Wireless. I am not sure what their rates are for a pay-as-you-go cell phone, which is what you will likely buy here. Most find this to be the easiest so yes, they carry two cell phones…their smart phone from back home and a cheap cell phone for Panama service. Another option is to buy a Panama SIM card on arrival at the airport and insert into your cell phone from back home. It will probably cost you about the same no matter which of these you do. You can inquire on your arrival at Tocumen airport.

Personally I am on a contract with Movistar (about $50 a month for a smart phone plan…i.e., data and calling) and I find their coverage and service to be great, I call Canada frequently for pennies a minute.

If you have a smart phone you can use that for calling the US by using your smart phone’s wifi at times when you have a connection (or data/roaming but this can be very expensive and I usually disable mine when I travel. Contact your home provider regarding international roaming charges). Smart phone apps like What’s App and Skype provide good online or wifi calling services.

Hope this helps and enjoy your visit.

Best,

IL Panama Editor Jessica Ramesch

PS I doubt there will be much difference in cost whether you purchase at the airport or in town.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.