Cell phones

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Cell phones

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott Eckartz
    Participant

I am moving to Placencia later this month and am looking into cell phone coverage. TMobile says their services work there for text and data at no additional international charges. Anyone have good experience with them or is it better to get a Belizean phone when I get there? It would be a lot easier to just take my current number with me..

DAVID L.
    Participant

Hi Scott,
    On our first couple of trips to Belize we used a cheapo T-Mobile cell phone from Walmart. Had to have it unlocked and then used a SIM Card from BTL (Belize Telephone Limited). We used the BTL pre-paid plan. While we were in the States, I put $5.00BZ on it every month to hold the number (on-line). $50.00BZ will last 3 months before the reminding balance expires. Less than $50BZ will expire in one month. Hence, the reason I only put $5BZ each month before we moved permanently to Belize.

Once we moved, I moved the SIM card from the T-Mobile to my Verizon phone. If the SIM card needs be to cut down to fit the new phone, BTL will do this for you. Now, we get $50BZ on Double Days which gives us $100BZ for 3 months (again, on-line)

This cell phone is for Belize calls and international texting but no data (pictures, internet searching, etc.). Data plans are extra. We use email for pictures.

You can get subscription plans for voice, text, and data. But, for our situation, pre-paid works out better.

We also use MagicJack for calls to and from the US and Canada. We have a Sarasota number that is transferred over internet (VOIP) to our BZ home phone. It is $99US for 5 years. As long as the internet works to your home, this works great. Also, with an APP, you can place and receive calls on your cell phone, as long as, you are linked to WIFI (here, US or Canada).

Hope this helps,
    David

Scott Eckartz
    Participant

Thanks, David. Good information.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.