Changuinola's Hidden Gem

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Changuinola's Hidden Gem

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Here’s Jessica’s secret spot to visit in northwestern Panama…

It’s called La Asociación de Amigos y Vecinos de la Costa y la Naturaleza (Friends and Neighbors of the Coast and Nature, or AAMVECONA for short.)

One of my favorite things to do in Panama is explore the diverse flora and fauna, and at AAMVECONA you can see spectacular specimens of manatees and sea turtles that come here to nest every year. Seeing a manatee munch on banana leaves or a tiny sea turtle hatch from its egg is a rare—and truly unforgettable—experience.

I must warn you, however, not to expect luxury in Changuinola. There are a couple of basic but comfortable hotels here with WiFi. But volunteer-run AAMVECONA offers food, lodging, and activity packages from about $90 a day (per person). You’ll sleep in a cot and bathe with cold water out of a bucket, so zero frills. I find it fun for a day or two…just like camping out.

Remember to take bug spray and a book. You’ll do a lot of waiting around, but when the cuddly-looking manatees show up, it’s totally worth it. Just please book ahead, as they can’t always accommodate walk-ins. If you want to see the sea turtles, I’ve found the best time of year to go is March through July (egg laying season) or the hatching season in August/September.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.