clothing confusion

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum clothing confusion

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DANIEL CLARK

Hi again,

I have once again been confused by misinterpretation or something. Our allowance for clothing when we pack the container is 200 kg for each person and must be labeled his/hers & EXACTLY what each item is, am I right so far? Now, we are being told that bedding/towels/tablecloths house hold linens essentially, are part of this 200kg per person, we have a 4 bedroom home (downsizing of course) & I think with these items that we have acquired, our clothing allowance will reduce us to Adam and Eve style dressing. Excuse my quip but I have to lighten it up somehow. Can you help with a web site to help me digest the rules. Thanks again.

Daniel

It’s certainly possible that the rules have changed since we shipped our container, but I’ve never heard of this. How would anyone know? When your container is opened for inspection they take out maybe 20 boxes, open perhaps 5 or 6 of them to compare the contents against the inventory, and if it all matches up that’s it. You’re shipping duty-free so they’re not too interested quite frankly. Put “easy” boxes right inside the door like lampshades and other contents that aren’t too detailed. Never have kitchen boxes with a zillion small items inside available for inspection. The inventory list doesn’t need to say, “14 knives, 16 cups—” or “25 bath towels, 13 books.” “Kitchen plates & glasses” kind of description worked for us. BTW–400 kg of clothing = 882 pounds. You two must have some wardrobe!

DANIEL CLARK

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply, we really appreciate this kind of  feed back, Our wardrobe is not that big but suddenly shrunk on hearing these types of figures which included the bedding etc, I wondering if the moving people find it easier if things are ‘lightweight’ & also a VERY detailed inventory?

Daniel

When you say “moving people” I’m not sure if you’re referring to the guys loading your container or the folks handling your shipment. Don’t worry about the moving guys–they’re used to picking up heavy stuff. Regarding the inventory, you need to make it as detailed as possible without getting crazy. Like the kitchen box I mentioned earlier, if you list every single doodad in the drawers you’ll be miserable. For example, of our 162 boxes (Yikes!), #117 said “set of kitchen dishes, 2 plastic containers,” & #118 said “electric mixer, garlic holder, plastic cups, plates, & utensils.”

If you should decide you want a customs facilitator to help, you Sandra Baqueiro comes highly recommended by those who have used her services. She’s good about answering questions by email, too. (Not always fast, but good!) She speaks English.

SANDRA BAQUERO PEREZ Sanestar International Shipping Services Guayaquil, Ecuador Tel. +593 (4) 501-8970 or (in the U.S.) (855) SANE-STAR (7263-7827); cell +593 (9) 969-0583 E-mail: SanestarInternational@gmail.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.