Coins and Currency

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Coins and Currency

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RICKI KOBERNIK
    Participant

I have read that small denomination currency and coins are is short supply in Ecuador.  I am interested in finding out some more in depth information in that regard.  Specifically, what are the particulars regarding $2 bills, 1$ coins of both sizes and 50 cent pieces?  Thanks.

You rarely see $2 bills here but the $1 Sacajawea dollars (no idea if I spelled that right) are plentiful. US-minted coins and Ecuador coins are used interchangeably. I don’t think there is a shortage per se but shopkeepers never seem to have change. I’ve no idea where it goes every night. This is endemic to Latin America and not just Ecuador. But they’ll find it should you want to buy something, even if they have to go to every neighboring shop in search of change.

Who writes this malarkey? Small denomination bills and coins are all that are used here. I suggest you ditch that source of “information” immediately.

IRVING WOLFE
    Participant

I was unable to use Eisenhower dollars, Susan B dollars, or the new “Presidential ” series “silver” dollars in Ecuador.  They were not accepted. The Sacajawea dollar is excepted without question. I am finding it harder and harder to find Sacajawea dollars at my bank in the US. They are being replaced with the “Presidential” series dollars. I can no longer “order” Sacajawea  dollars at the bank. The last time I tried to us a 2 USD note in Iowa the cashier had to “call” over the manager thinking it was counterfeit. Not sure it would go over well in Ecuador.  I have not tried. USD notes with pictures of Washington, Lincoln, Hamilton  (1,5,10 USD) no problems. I have found Jackson (20USD) maybe a problem. Grant and Franklin (50 and 100 USD notes) need to “break” them at an Ecuadorian bank. You very well may receive Ecuadorian coins as change, as opposed to US coins, maybe this is what is meant by others regarding a shortage of coins.

Money is a non-issue here. If you’re coming to visit bring several hundred dollars in 20’s, 10’s, & 5’s and pull additional funds from ATM’s.

ALAN GUTMAN
    Participant

In addition to a few hundred dollars in small bills what do you suggest to pay e.g. for hotel stays and for a month or so rentals? I’m assuming US bank checks take time and/or hassle to clear and are not a viable form of payment-?

Are ATMs available only in big cities like QUito & Cuenca, or??

Also are American Express cheques readily accepted and useful to bring as extra cash?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

There are ATMs everywhere. Traveler’s checks of any kind are not useful — and that’s anywhere in the world, really. They are more hassle then they are worth. I carry two ATM cards from different banks just in case I have problems with one — doesn’t happen very often but there are some machines that seem to be pickier than others. Unless I am at a chain hotel or restaurant I usually just pay cash.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.