Coming to Quito for conference

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Coming to Quito for conference

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I will be attending the conference in Quito Feb 5-7, and I plan to arrive a few days early. My flight arrives at around 12AM on Jan 31 and I would like to find a reasonably priced hotel near the airport. The next morning I plan to go to Cotacachi for 2 days, the to Cuenca for 2 days before I go to the conference. Here are the questions I have.

1. Can anyone recommend a hotel near the airport, and what would the cab fare normally be?
    2. If I took a bus to Cotacachi, what would that cost? Or does anyone know a taxi driver that speaks English and could take me there and be kind of an informal tour guide?
    3. What would be a good hotel in Cotacachi?
    4. What would be a good hotel in Cuenca?
    5. Again does anyone living in Cuenca know an English speaking taxi driver that could show me around?

I can help you with the Cuenca questions. You can’t go wrong with Hotel Victoria and Hotel Inca Real, both centrally located in the historic district. There are a lot of highly recommended bilingual taxi drivers. Two to contact are Orlando Siguenza (orlando_siguenza@yahoo.com) and Victor Ojeda (victorh0613@yahoo.com).

A lot of folks stay at the Quito Airport Suites when they need lodging near the airport. I believe the taxi fare will be around $15 from the airport.

If you take a bus you’ll need to take one to Otavalo which will cost around $2. From Otavalo you can transfer to a Cotacachi bus which will set you back 25 cents.

Rodrigo Flores is a bilingual driver and guide who can pick you up from the airport and show you around. I don’t have his e-mail, but this is his Facebook page and you can contact him there.

The most popular place to stay in Cotacachi is La Cuadra. It’s a nice hostel just off the main square with a shared kitchen and reasonable rates. El Arbolito is another nice option and is located just off Parque San Francisco.

Thanks for the info!

One quick additional question to Wendy. How often does the bus run to Otavalo and Cotacachi? I am trying to coordinate a flight to Cuenca and back before the conference also. Oops thought of another question. Do you need to take a taxi to the bus station from the Quito Airport Suites, or does a bus perhaps stop at the airport on the way to Otavalo? Thanks!

The buses from Cotacachi to Otavalo runs every ten minutes, so it’s very easy to catch. I’m not quite sure I understand your second question. Where do you want to go from the Quito Airport Suites? If you’re going to the airport you’ll need to take a cab. If you’re headed to Otavalo you’ll probably be able to catch a bus heading that way from a street near the Quito Airport Suites. If you want to go from the airport to Otavalo you’ll want to catch a cab to the traffic circle in Pifo and then catch a bus from there. You don’t need to be at an official bus stop or station, you can just flag down any bus passing by and they will stop.

Sorry for the confusion. I just assumed I would have to go back to the airport to catch a bus to Otavalo. I get in to Quito around midnight, and want to take a bus to Otavalo/Cotacachi the next morning. Then I will come back to Quito in time for the conference.
    Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.