COST OF CAR RENTALS AND RESTRICTIONS IN ECUADOR

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum COST OF CAR RENTALS AND RESTRICTIONS IN ECUADOR

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wally Butts
    Participant

I have been investigating a trip to EC recently, and hoped to rent a car at Guayaquil Airport for some touring of the country. The cost of thousands of dollars for a three week rental are staggering, and there appear to be restrictions on drivers 70 yrs or over.
    I am over 6′ tall, 300 lbs, and over 70 yrs old. I just don’t fit in a tiny car.
    What is the work-around on this situation.

Is it reasonable to ire a car and driver, and what is normal costs to do so?s this a practical solution?

Thanks,

Wally Butts

Try Cuenca Car Share (http://www.cuencacarshare.com/). Their vehicles are bigger and rates lower than the international rental companies.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

If you are only going short distances at a time, you might consider the bus. And hiring a private driver might be less than the cost of renting a car. A driver in Guayaquil you might reach out to is Jorge Lopez: http://gyebnb.com — he gets lots of praise from expats here. Another (I can’t personally recommend either) is Victor Boin: victorcolorado85@yahoo.com

If you’d like some driver contacts for other parts of the country, let me know?

Wally Butts
    Participant

Thanks, Ed. Cuenca Car Share loks like the answer.

Wally Butts

BARRY LAING

Try Ribas — a small rental outfit in Quito. We too ran into the absurd cost/rules. Even with damage waiver insurance from their own web booking sites, the “big boys” Avis, Budget etc still wanted several thousand on our credit card for a damage deposit– that would have covered by their own insurance. This is often said to be subject to a high hit from nearly imaginary damage from these same guys and havoc collecting any claim.
    Anyway, Ribas rented us an economical but larger than sub-compact car (I too am 6′ 200#+) at about $42 a day all inclusive for a month; plus $75.00 for the month for a new gps. The did ask for a damage waiver but only swiped our card for need if it arose–they did not run a debit or hold on the card (I checked) They were careful, through, and easy to deal with. She speaks good adequate English and writes it well–responding by email promptly. Once we needed road service — they were right on top of it. No complaints, good folk. Try this email from my records: cubacar428@yahoo.com or ribasrentacar.com

Barry Laing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.