Cost of living in different regions.

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Cost of living in different regions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I have read the wonderfully informative articles and reports provided by International Living. I have also done some research by way of books and the internet and somehow I still cannot get an accurate fell of the cost of living by region. I can see by most articles that the three major cities which seem to be the most desirable places to retire (hospitals and airports etc.) are the most expensive. Am I wrong?
    The range of prices to purchase or rent a home, also seem to vary greatly form area to area, and I think that I am comparing apples to apples.
    I think that I will go to Ecuador for about a month and look around, but it would be nice to have some ideas of the places to visit.
    Another thing that would be nice to know, is the location etc. of expats from Canada, clubs etc.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Just as in any country, city living in Ecuador will cost more. Of course, your cost of living depends on you. If you dig into your Ecuador Insider, you’ll find detailed info about the best places for expat living. But Ecuador isn’t like Costa Rica or Mexico…the expat communities aren’t organized into Canadian clubs, etc. We’re just starting to get enough critical mass to have bridge clubs and get-togethers and that sort of thing. Check out our suggested itineraries in the travel section and you’ll get some good ideas about where to go and who to contact.

As a diabetic, I need insulin. It is prohibitedly expensive in the US. I use a prescription assistance program that will not ship overseas. What is available in Ecuador for sourcing insulin?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Mark, I am uncertain about the cost of insulin, although I know it is available here. We have a doctor in Quito that we like a lot. He is Dr. Davalos and he is a member of the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers. He speaks perfect English and his tel # is +593 (2) 2260 575 and 2265 783 and 2260 228.

Also, Sarah Dettman is a former Peace Corp nurse and has been living in Ecuador for 25 years. She’s the person we turn to whenever we have a medical question. She may know about the costs of insulin. Email Sarah at s.dettman@yahoo.com.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.