Cost of Moving to Ecuador

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Cost of Moving to Ecuador

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LILIE HAIL
    Participant

Can anyone give me some ballpark idea of how much the overall cost would be of moving to Ecuador? I’d be moving by myself, and I don’t expect to move that much stuff – perhaps somewhere between one to two pallets’ worth, depending also on what I can afford to move. If it’s all too costly for my budget, I’d consider chucking it all and starting over. It would be extremely helpful if I had some idea what it’ll all cost, including moving my possessions and whatever other expenses people ordinarily incur (legal assistance for immigration, etc.). Any information would be greatly appreciated, as it would help me plan my strategy for a scouting trip and everything else on my path to Ecuador!

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

HI Lilie, you might want to send your query to customs broker Sandra Baquero: sandy.baquero@gmail.com. She can probably provide better, more detailed input. On average, and depending what part of the States your stuff is coming from and what time of year it is (May is less expensive than December) you can expect to pay $9,800 for a 20-ft container and $13,000 for a 40-ft. container. You, of course, plan to have far less than this.

Many people opt not to bring more than what they can bring on the plane and there are all kinds of packing strategies, including buying a first-class ticket in order to get more baggage allowance.

When planning your move, don’t forget all the associated costs: rental deposits (first and last month’s rent), the cost to obtain your visa ($2,000 – $3,000) and the costs to purchase some things you’ll need to get started (housewares, toiletries, pantry staples, etc.) We always suggest a cushion of $5,000 to $6,000 for those first few months.

LILIE HAIL
    Participant

Thanks so much for the info., Suzan – very helpful!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.