Costa Rica Crime Rate

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Costa Rica Crime Rate

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JOSEPH BUKOWSKI
    Participant

It has been brought to my attention that the crime rate in Costa Rica has been increasing to a disturbing level, even in the tourist areas. It was also indicated that there is a lack of police protection. Can anyone substantiate this claim or comment on the issue.

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Joseph,

Great question. There is no place without crime and Costa Rica is no exception. But I wouldn’t say it’s risen to a disturbing level. I generally feel safe here, where I live in San Jose and when I travel across the country.

What I – and other expats – do worry about is petty crime – somebody breaking in my home while I’m away, snatching an unattended bag at a bus station or on the beach… stuff like that. So I take precautions of having a house sitter while I’m gone for extended periods, locking passports and jewelry in a safe at hotels, parking in guarded lots (most are). The crimes are crimes of opportunity so you don’t make your place an easy target and usually you are fine.

The police are not on the level of the U.S. They aren’t as well funded or equipped. In rural areas that means fewer officers and longer response times. That’s why preventative steps are so important.

KEVIN POSTER
    Participant

I was recently told that the Jaco area is seeing a significant increase in drug activity and prostitution. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Kevin,

If anything, I would say Jaco is getting better. For many years it had a reputation as a party town for young backpackers and surfers and others. I was in Jaco over the last week and all the long-time expats I spoke with said the town has seen big improvements, although it’s tough to shake its bad reputation. It’s matured into more of a family and couple friendly destination. Lots of high-end hotels and restaurants. There is a large and active expat community there. And the local government has done a lot of community improvements and has an active police force.

Prostitution is legal in Costa Rica and there are some bars, nightclub, and hotels in Jaco that cater to the crowd seeking that. Along with that comes drug use. Outside of those places the town is fine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.