Costa Rica here we come!

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Costa Rica here we come!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi Jason,
    We have chosen May 2014 to spend two weeks in Costa Rica. Can you recommend a low to medium range priced all inclusive resort in the central valley and one in the southern zone? After moving to Costa Rica do you get a break on the price for golfing and fishing? Those two activities seem to come with a hefty price tag. While our husbands are relaxing at the resort, my friend and I would like to speak with a realtor in both areas. Who do you recommend? We would like to look at some properties for purchase and hopefully purchase something that we could possibly rent until retirement – 2 years. I’ve looked at the rolodex just curious if you have a preference. Also who should we call for a rental vehicle for two weeks. I am assuming we need a four wheel drive – we are coming in the rainy season correct? My friend and I would like to zip line so we can tell all our friends how brave we are – where please is the best zip lining? One last question tonight – do volcano’s stink? Someone told me the air around volcano’s smells like rotten eggs? One of our party thinks we should look around Lake Arenal because of the low humidity, two want to be close enough to town do go out to dinner, movie, shopping etc. and the other would like to live in the jungle – guess what? We have a lot to do in two weeks. Thanks so much – you can’t begin to imagine our excitement!
    Elizabeth Smith

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Great to hear about your visit, Elizabeth. There really aren’t any all inclusive resorts in the Central Valley or Southern Zone.

In the CV you have mostly small hotels and B&Bs. The closest thing to an all inclusive would be in and around San Jose but that’s not an ideal homebase for scouting the Valley. The other option would be to stay at a hotel near the airport. The Holiday Inn Express and Courtyard Marriott are right near the airport, right off the highway, so you’d have quick access to check out Atenas, Grecia, San Ramon, and other west Valley towns. For something other than an American chain, you could stay in one of the B&Bs but keep in mind they’ll be homey but very simple. Check out TripAdvisor for some highly rated places in the towns I just listed. There’s also this one: hotelmartino.com.

As far as real estate, check out american-european.net – they cover the whole country, it’s kind of a group of agencies that got together. Also call the folks in the Rolodex.

Arriving in May you’ll arrive at the start of the rainy season, so it won’t be too bad. Rental cars are available from multiple agencies at the airport. 4WD isn’t strictly necessary but will come in handy if you’re checking out property in the hills/mountains of the Southern Zone and some of the more rural areas of the CV. More than anything you want to have an SUV for the high ground clearance.

The best ziplining is in Arenal and Monteverde. So if you end up in Arenal, do it there. There’s also a place a short day trip from the CV called Lands in Love, actually on the road to Arenal: http://landsinlove.com/Canopy.htm

About Arenal – no sulfur smell. And it’s definitely one of the quietist areas of the country. The CV is quiet too, outside of the cities, but you have quick access to shopping and other big city stuff.

As far as the Southern, it’s all small hotels and eco-lodges. Check out TripAdvisor for places in Dominical, Uvita, and Ojochal. That’ll put you in the heart of the action. Josh Kanter is a good resource, tell him I sent you: http://www.dominicalproperty.com/About/page_2523308.html

Thank you, Jason for all the wonderful help. I just got off a house rental site and still not sure if that’s not the way to go. My friend Judy had become concerned about safety. She read an article about people slashing car tires – I have assured her we will be just fine that people do the same kind of things she read about in the states, you just don’t put yourself in a position to be robbed. Again thank you.
    Elizabeth

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

A house rental can be a good way to go, especially with the number of people in your party. It’s what I usually do if I have family in Costa Rica visiting. You should be able to find a place for a week in the CV and another week in the SZ no problem.

As far as safety – don’t worry about it too much. There aren’t armed bandits on the highways. But don’t leave anything visible in the car – keep it in the trunk if you’re leaving the car. And do park in guarded lots (most are). Tip the guy with the reflective vest or whoever is watching the lot a dollar or 500 colones (local currency). It’s not that he’ll do something to the car if you don’t, it’s just standard practice in Costa Rica.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.