Cotacachi Leather Stores & Credit Cards

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Cotacachi Leather Stores & Credit Cards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    KEVIN MANN
    Participant

Does anyone know if the leather shops in Cotacachi accept credit cards? If so, is there any advice about using them (good idea / bad idea)?

JONATHAN WILNER
    Participant

Some do, some don’t. Remember, you need to bargain for everything. If you use a credit card, it will be more expensive. I recommend carrying cash, unless of course you are buying a very large amount of goods..

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Jonathan is correct. If you bargain (and you can do that even on marked prices in shops) you can ask for a discount (un descuento, por favor) and they will offer you a lower price and tell you that’s for “efectivo” or the cash price. You can bargain from there, of course, but you’re bargaining for the cash price. Beyond the large hotels and fancy restaurants and the mall/chain stores you’ll have a hard time using credit cards. So dust off those ATM cards. I think I said it elsewhere in this forum, but we use Capital One — they do not charge an ATM transaction fee. That said, when I have used my credit card in Ecuador or elsewhere I have never had a problem.

KEVIN MANN
    Participant

Thanks for the information – It’s really appreciated!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.