Cotacachi real estate visit

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Cotacachi real estate visit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    DAVID STONE
    Participant

We are headed to Ecuador arriving on 5/16/13 looking for some guidance. Questions: 1. What is the best hotel at the new airport to stay that first night? 2. Can you recommend a trusted driver to get us to Cotacachi?  3. Is the Inn Land of the Sun a good place to stay?  4. Please recommend a good real estate agent that will tour and show properties.  Dave Stone –  desaz@cox.net

We are not endorsing these places as we have not stayed in any of them yet, but near the airport, you can try:

http://www.hosteriasanjose.com (This is the one I would try, personally)

http://www.rincondepuembo.com/ (This one looks as if it may be the closest to the airport.

We’ve also heard that a place called La Marmite may have some rooms — they have a well-known restaurant in Checa. You can email them for information at marmite@uio.satnet.net.

Another that just opened is http://airporthotelquito.com/ 

And you could just come straight to Cotacachi — that’s what we do. Although that works if you are staying in a hotel in Cotacachi and doesn’t work if you are staying in a private apartment. 

In Cotacaci, you’ll want to contact several real estate agents to get a real taste of the market (no MLS here either). The most visible agents doing business in Cotacachi (this is not an endorsement) are Micky Enright: mickyenright@gmail.com and the REMAX office: http://www.remax.com.ec/coastandcountry

There are also a couple of gated communities you might want to check out:

http://elencantocotacachi.com/

And yesterday I toured a community that is really spectacular on the hillside between Otavalo and Cotacachi, about a 3-minute drive into town. For details about that, email Miguel Mora. He is a builder of exquisite homes and very knowledgable about the area: morasalasm@hotmail.com

Friends of ours have apartments for sale. Dennis Tonsing has a 4th floor furnished “penthouse” suite for sale: dt.uy.07@gmail.com

And Ron and Terresa Moore have a furnished 2-bed for sale (terresammoore@yahoo.com). They are also selling their furnished waterfront apartment in Crucita (between Manta and Bahia on the coast).

DAVID STONE
    Participant

Thanks so much.  We will follow up on your leads.  By-the-way we met you at the 2012 Las Vegas comfrence.

David, I think you will love Ecuador. But remember that while it offers many upscale and wonderful amenities, it is, in many ways, still a developing country. Come for the adventure and not in hopes of replicating your life at home and you’ll have a great experience.

IRVING WOLFE
    Participant

David

I bought my home in Cotacachi (San Miguel- a gated community) with the help of Micky. She is a very  nice, professional, honest women. You will not go wrong with her. I will  give her an endorsement. But, as Susan says there is no MLS so contact  as many real estate agents as you can.

DAVID STONE
    Participant

Irving & Suzan, thanks for the real estate name and advice!  We do understand that we’re not going to replace our home in Arizona and we’ll treat this as an adventure.  San-Miguel is one I’d like to see.
    What do you know about “Inn Land of the Sun” in Cotacachi?  Is that a good place to stay?

Happy Easter!

LAWRENCE SCHULTZ
    Participant

Susan

I loved my three week visit to Ecuador a few years ago (had to cut it short because of intestinal problems from eating in a wrong restaurant) and am planning on returning to see the places I missed such as Cuenca, Cotacaci, Otavalo and the middle to northern Pacific Coast).  One thing concerns me is that we have seen over the past couple of years, glowing articles from people such as Ron and Teressa Moore, Steven Watkins etc. but now they are selling and apparently leaving.  Is there something about Ecuador that wears off after a couple of years?

Ron and Terresa are not leaving — to the contrary, they are selling both their small apartments in Cotacachi and Crucita in order to buy a bigger condo here in Coatacachi. I don’t know Steve Watkins so I can’t comment on his situation. I have heard, though, that 30 to 40% of folks who come here eventually decide it is not for them. That’s why we keep saying, over and over, that you need to come for the right reasons. Not to replicate your life at home… because this is not the U.S. And don’t come purely for financial reasons. It’s best to come because you love adventure, want to experience a different culture, to meet new people and get a new lease on life, etc.

IRVING WOLFE
    Participant

I have been emailing Terresa regarding her and her husbands condo in Crucita.  The  Condo in Crucita looks very nice. Move in ready. Susan, have you stayed at the condo. What is your opinion of Crucita?

Thank you

Irving

Hi Irving, I’ve never spent more than a couple of nights in Crucita so I’m not a good judge of the character of the place. And I was there before Ron and Terresa furnished their condo (when it was under construction) so I have never stayed in it. But you’re right — it’s move-in ready, and a great location on the beach.

I know Crucita has a growing expat population, and it is close to services in Manta and Portoviejo. Crucita is basically a small fishing village with a very pretty beach — and there are some decent seafood restaurants although they all tend to serve variations of the same menu. But that’s the same all over Ecuador.

Really, it’s about how it feels to you and what kind of environment you are after…

DAVID STONE
    Participant

We are headed to Manta – Bahia area when we leave Cotacachi and need advice on a real estate tour person and or agents when we see something we like.  Or should we pick a place in the middle and look for real estate agents in each of the towns that interest us?

David, it will be tough to find any real estate agents who work all the towns. Remember, no MLS in Ecuador. In Crucita, you might want to check in with Tom Saunders. See his website here: http://ecuadorbeachfrontproperty.com/

You can email him at tom@ecuadorbeachfrontproperty.com — ask him if he knows someone in Bahia or Manta. 

The truth is that some of the real estate agents over in that part of Ecuador don’t have the best reputations. I wish I knew someone reputable in either Manta or Bahia you could contact. Let me put out some feelers and see what I can come up with…

David, I just remembered that the REMAX office in Cotacachi bills themselves as “Coast and Country” — and the part of the coast they cover is Bahia de Caraquez. You might want to chat with them about what they have going on over on the coast. Here is their website: http://www.ecuadorcoastandcountry.com/

David, for a real estate person in Manta, email  tmurdock@pathfinderinternational.net — she knows someone there.

ROBERT GORCZYCA
    Participant

Susan, I was surprised (as I expect were many others) to learn of the Moore’s desire to sell both their highland and beach properties.  Inasmuch as they have been featured several times in IL promotional information as an example of how affordable real estate in Ecuador can be, seemed a fair question to ask “why?” — in particular, had they ultimately decided the country wasn’t for them for some reason?  Very much appreciate your explanation.   You, Edd and others are doing a great job of providing helpful, practicable information to those of us not yet ready to put boots on the ground.  Realize that some questions may be “eye rollers” to insiders, but grateful for your patience.   Thanks again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.