CR/ Panama border – DAVID CAR RENTAL

Homepage Forums Panama Insider CR/ Panama border – DAVID CAR RENTAL

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    RICK TRABER
    Participant

I am driving a rental car from San Jose CR to the border of Panama and planning on leaving it there on March 14th. I have another rental car Reserved to pick up at the David airport location that I plan to drive to Pedasi and fish for three days with Panafishing Adventure and then return the rental car to David and hopefully the first rental car will still be on the CR side of the border for me to drive back to San Jose. My question is what would you think my best way to get from the border to David will be. it looks like about 20=- miles by a map and I am wondering if there will be taxis available at the border or if buses run on any frequent schedule to David. I am using National Car rental. They do have a location on the CR side of the border, but with the fees to drop off and pick up again it is cheaper to rent it for the week and let it sit for 4 days. Unfortunately the closest National rental on the Panama side is David, unless someone knows of another rental company on the Panama side of the border I am stuck with needing transport myself somehow to David. Suggestions?
    Also I am getting a GPS with the car in Costa Rica. Do you think it will have maps for Panama as well?

Dear Rick,

You plan to cross the Costa Rica-Panama border at Paso Canoas and then get to David, correct?

A few important things to keep in mind:

The border crossing doesn’t cost anything (subject to change) but can take 2 hours if there are many people in line. If you are patient it really isn’t bad.

At the border, to enter Panama, you must be prepared to present $500 cash per person (financial solvency requirement) and airline tickets showing when you will be exiting Panama.

Yes there are “frontera” or “border” buses and it’s about an hour’s drive between Paso Canoas and David. You could hire a cab but it would be expensive, probably not worth it (more than $40). Bus schedules are not published so you need to inquire at the piquera (bus station)…that said, frequencies are usually good, no need to worry that you won’t be able to get a bus on the day you need it. Last time I traveled it was like $2 and buses ran from the border to David like every fifteen minutes from 6am to 9pm (this is all approximate but shouldn’t vary much).

At the border you will need to walk your luggage across, so pack light or be prepared to tip a local a few bucks to help you.

There are “international” buses between David and San Jose, Costa Rica. There are also flights.

I don’t know about the GPS including both countries. But outside of Panama City, the country of Panama is very easy to get around, I’ve never used GPS, I just stop and ask. There’s just one major highway, the Pan-American or Inter-American. You will find lots of info on this highway and driving in Panama on this website.

It’s always a good idea to drive during the day when it’s safer (in terms of visibility and avoiding accidents).

Regards,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.