Crowded or not crowded?

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Crowded or not crowded?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SORREL L.

Went to CR recently,for the first time. Was on a quick 2 day tour. Saw San Jose and subburbs, Heredia, Allejula, Atenas, San Ramon. Did not make it to the parts of CR people usually think about: beaches, jungles, volcanoes and lakes, etc.. Now, at home, I am reading more about CR, keeping it in mind for a future place to retire to. Im really not interested in moving to a place that seems to have SO much new building or land development going on. It sounds like it would be hard to find that “old world” Costa Rican lifestyle . What can you tell me about the lifestyle of living in a small central valley community (like Atenas, which I THINK i’d like) vs the city of San Jose where all I can remember is the smelly diesel buses and the busy street. CR’s temperate climate is very attractive so you dont have to sell me on that! Thank you! Marlene L

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

The San Jose metro area is really one of kind in the country as far as traffic, congestion, new development, and construction. It’s definitely a big city going through some growing pains and feeling the lack of urban planning.

But when you get into smaller Central Valley towns, it’s totally different. Towns like Grecia and Atenas are still bustling in the downtown areas. But once you drive 10 minutes you are back in the farms and forest. Very quiet and more of a rural/village atmosphere. For example, in Grecia, you might check out communities like El Cajon or San Isidro de Grecia, and in Atenas, Santa Eulalia.

Even a bigger town like Heredia (Santa Barbara de Heredia) or San Ramon (Magallanes) has little villages in the surrounding mountains that are largely rural and very quiet. This would be where most expats live.

You also have rural areas and tiny little villages all over the Central Valley where life is still very traditional and there are no crowds at all. A few that come to mind would be Tacares, Barva, Miramar, and Cachi.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.