Cuenca versus Cotacachi

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Cuenca versus Cotacachi

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

May I get as many opinions as possible from expats living in Ecuador, and Ecuadorians that may read these forum postings
    1/ Cost of day living between these two places, food restaurants and entertainment
    2/ Availability of food and merchandise
    3/ Cost of fairly modern and new accommodation (condos)
    4/ availability of new and fairly new condos
    5/ Quality of life

Thanks to all that give me input

Tom

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I can comment on Cotacachi, where I live.
    1. Totally depends on your lifestyle. If you cook at home and go out to eat only once or twice a week — and don’t drink wine or spirits when you do — it is quite easy to live on $1,000 a month minus your rent. Some people live happily on that amount including rent. Budget for my husband and I is about $1500/month — we own our home, we like to cook but we also like to drink wine. Meals in nice restaurants cost about $5 each. Local style restaurants, you can eat for $2.50.
    2. We now have a local supermarket that covers all basic needs. And a local vendor who carries those gringo-preferred items (ranch dressing, Kraft mayo, Pace salsa, etc.) I try not to ever buy this stuff as I’m not trying to replicate my life back home. A major and modern supermarket chain called SuperMaxi is in the nearby town of Ibarra, a 45-cent bus ride and about 25 minutes away.
    3. Prices are going up, unfortunately but you can still get a good buy…3 bed/2 bath condo for $70,000 and up.
    4. Demand is higher than supply, hence the rising costs. (Rents are about $650/month for a very nice and well furnished place. Less if you don’t care about all the bells and whistles (flat-screen TVs, Washer/dryer, etc.)
    5. Love it! It is quiet and peaceful here, the people are friendly. This is small town living, though – -the sidewalks roll up at 9 pm.

Tom, Cuenca is much larger than Cotacachi so life is different here. Overall cost of living figures, however, are not significantly different from what Suzan shared. Our budget is about $1800 per month including rent but excluding travel. We don’t eat out much and often take advantage of inexpensive almuerzos (fixed menu lunches) when we do. A meal at a nice restaurant in Cuenca would average $10 without alcohol. We also have movie theaters with tickets as low as $2.50. There are many cultural events as well and most, even our symphony, are free.

There are supermarkets all over town and numerous mercados selling produce, meat, and fish. We have one major mall and several smaller ones, plus countless free-standing shops and stores.

An acceptable condo will cost $80,000 and up. Construction is booming here so you wouldn’t have a problem finding something suitable.

I love my life here. Even though our population is over 500,000, the city is a very manageable size that combines every modern convenience with colonial charm.

Thanks Suzan and thanks Ed, that is exactly the kind of information that I wanted.
    I can see that Cuenca has a higher cost of living, but a better selection, and more to do. I am a single retired person, the entertainment part I like, but the size of the city is of concern. I do not speak Spanish yet (learning) and getting around could be a problem.

I wouldn’t let either of those concerns affect your decision, Tom. My Spanish was extremely poor when I arrived 2 1/2 years ago. Excellent street maps are available, and the bus routes are online (buses cost 25 cents to ride). A taxi ride from one side of town to the other runs about 2 bucks. If you decide on Cuenca you’ll be fine.

Hi Edd!    We want to develop a fairly realistic budget but housing is the thing most baffling to us.  We’re considering renting in Cuenca and only need one bedroom…preferably in a newer building where we can flush our TP (not a requirement…we can adapt) we’d also like an in suite washer and are prepared to hang clothes if necessary (not sure how realistic this is) and the apartment needs to be in town…no car, only walking.  We’re thinking that our budget will be between $1500 & $1800 including travel.  Can either of you recommend a good rental budget starting point for something like this?  In you budget, are you renting a large property (either condo or house)?

Many thanks!

You’re going to have a helluva time finding a newish one bedroom apartment–Ecuadorians have big families, so that’s not a popular choice. Are you talking about furnished or unfurnished? And when you say “including travel,” that budget # can be all over the map depending on where you’re going and how often. All that being said, plan on around $400 for a 2 BR unfurnished & add $100 for furnished. You can spend more or less depending on location, amenities—and luck!

We have a large family, too, but are trying to keep our costs down.  We’re certainly okay with having a larger space as it would be nice to have a guest room, should any of the relatives decide to visit.  We’ll need it furnished, but are hoping to get most services and utilities included (is that the same as amenities?) Once we’re settled and have tackled Spanish, we’re hoping to travel around South and Central America, but have no idea of cost, so we’ll travel as often as our budget allows, plus we’ll need to plan a trip back to Canada every once in a while.  I don’t think that we really want to spend anymore than $600 on housing costs, so as long as you feel that’s reasonable, we can start from there.  Thanks!

Danica, I think your budget will do here in Ecuador. But don’t come just for the low cost of living…

IRVING WOLFE
    Participant

Come to Ecuador for the quality of life it has to offer; the peace of mind, spirit and body that you hopefully will feel on your visits. The “lower cost of living” is only a perk.

Yes, I agree that the cost of living is only part of the reason to make such a drastic change.  We’re very much looking forward to immersing ourselves in a new culture and language, plus it will be a good jumping off point to see the rest of South America and Central America, but no matter where we live, cost will always be a consideration.  Many thanks for all the insight and guidance.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.