Current Presidential Election

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Current Presidential Election

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve Gallen
    Participant

Looking for input regarding the current Presidential election. How do expats feel about the candidates that are running? How will it effect everyday life in the country, and will expats still be a welcome segment of the population with a new government? Is any unrest expected with a new leader?

Hi Steve,

Just like back home, expats have varied opinions about the candidates here in Ecuador and I haven’t seen overwhelming support or disdain for any of the front runners. Any changes or effects on the country will just have to wait to be seen until we find out who our new President will be, but no one is expecting any dramatic changes and no candidates have expressed a dislike of expats in general. I don’t think any of us are concerned about being unwelcome here. Regardless of who wins, I suspect there will be some peaceful protests, but again, no one is expecting any unrest or trouble.

Hi Steve – I agree with Wendy. Here on the coast, if it weren’t for the signs you would not even know an election had taken place. I saw a small rally passing through Guayaquil the other day, and for the most part, it is only in the largest cities, like Quito, Guayaquil, Manta, or possibly Cuenca, where you will even see that. For most Ecuadorians and expats, life goes on regardless of the party in charge. Another point to remember – one of the few things that all of the candidates agree on is the importance of tourism to bring more American dollars in Ecuador.

Steve Gallen
    Participant

Thanks so much Wendy for your response. It helps me to understand the situation.

Steve Gallen
    Participant

Thanks Jim for your response also. Its a reassuring perspective you’ve given and hopefully will be very much in line with the realities after the run-off.

Wendy’s correct. Just as the U.S. election had expats rooting for either candidate, the same is happening here now with a liberal vs. conservative. As opposed to the U.S. where the angst seems non-stop four months later, Ecuador is for the most part “muy tranquillo.” And whatever is happening on the political front here doesn’t have much effect on expat life except to offer a subject for conversation and debate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.